View Full Version : Pam cooking spray

mcwilly
04-25-2008, 11:01 AM
I heard (when we were at Muddy Gras last year) that if you spray Pam cooking spay under your fenders and on your engine, that the mud will have a harder time sticking and that it will be easier to clean off. Anybody ever heard of this?
:confused:

(this is my off the wall thread for the month)

trx400EXtreme
04-25-2008, 11:12 AM
yea ive heard of people doing this. makes sense, it stops food from sticking.

400ex28
04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
I've done it... works alright.

underpowered
04-25-2008, 11:50 AM
WD40 works also.

many cheap tricks for it. PAm, WD, Armor all, Tire Shine.

I use tire foam, it seems to make mud easier to spray off.

TRX450RACER174
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
X2 for WD-40

Honda#4
04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Silicon spray

Iliketogofast
04-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Silicon spray is the best to use. It also makes the plastics really shiny.

Any tire shine is good too. They make super slick or super wet - the goal would be to get the "wettest" possible for the most slippery. It too makes the plastics look nice and shiny.

trx400EXtreme
04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
i never thought of silicone spray. i have a bunch for my shocks. would chain lube do much?

BlaineKaiser450
04-25-2008, 04:13 PM
ive used pam and it works pretty good

dirtbike&quad
04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
i never thought of silicone spray. i have a bunch for my shocks. would chain lube do much?

chain lube will make the fenders stickyyyyyyyyy. dont do it

CannondaleRider
04-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Yep....Armor All, Silicon Spray(my personal choice), WD-40, etc.

And yes, Pam does work also......and it smells like waffles when it burns off, lol.

OUTLAWGNCC
04-25-2008, 07:20 PM
The Lucus company that makes the oil treatments has a new product out that is intended exactly for this purpose. I am asking a parts house that I do business with to order it. Sorry, the name of the product escapes my memory right at the moment. I am going to try it. I saw it being used on TV during an off road truck race and the trucks using it were really clean compared to the trucks that didn't...

ceofuller
04-25-2008, 07:22 PM
So if you use the flavored Pam you could smell like lunch in the trails!:D

blacknblue#2
04-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I took a trip up to iron pony a couple days ago and they have a big shelf of stuff called MUC OFF........didnt really pay much attention to it but does anyone use it???

04-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I always do it before a muddy race, and it really never seems to do anything. I have a powerwasher now so I can wash in between moto's, which works alot better lol

suzukigirl
04-26-2008, 12:16 AM
pam works really well...i use it for every race....the silicon spray works better than pam, but its a lot more expensive

04-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I took a trip up to iron pony a couple days ago and they have a big shelf of stuff called MUC OFF........didnt really pay much attention to it but does anyone use it???

In England Muc off is the biggest selling degreaser and general "vehicle" cleaner there is. Spray it on the bike, wait for 10 minutes and hose off.

mcwilly
04-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWGNCC
The Lucus company that makes the oil treatments has a new product out that is intended exactly for this purpose. I am asking a parts house that I do business with to order it. Sorry, the name of the product escapes my memory right at the moment. I am going to try it. I saw it being used on TV during an off road truck race and the trucks using it were really clean compared to the trucks that didn't...

Cool. Keep us updated on how it works.
I have a pressure washer too. But when I'm cleaning 2-3 quads at a time, any help I can get to speed up the process would be great.

04-26-2008, 08:29 AM
wont that stuff be boiling on your motor though?

Giz400ex
04-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by mcwilly
I heard (when we were at Muddy Gras last year) that if you spray Pam cooking spay under your fenders and on your engine, that the mud will have a harder time sticking and that it will be easier to clean off. Anybody ever heard of this?
:confused:

(this is my off the wall thread for the month) Sounds like a "Joe Dirt" idea:D

mcwilly
04-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
wont that stuff be boiling on your motor though?

That was my initial thought too....but if it's used for cooking, oven temps can be up to 450 degrees and higher. So I think it would be fine.

firefighterjosh
04-26-2008, 05:36 PM
It normally bakes off your engine and evaprates before you even get off the line.

After I wash my quad I spray my whole quad down with WD40. Then I wipe it off. Keeps everything from rusting and makes it look good. I then start the quad to get the excess off the engine.

It also puts a small film over all the parts and lets the mud slid off easier.

Now if the race is for sure going to be muddy I will spary the fenders, frame, top of fenders, duct tape over the bumper. Everything with cooking spray

lorenjr83
04-26-2008, 06:02 PM
A buddy of mine always uses tranny fluid

300exkid123
04-28-2008, 09:37 AM
i use wd40 before every race works great

Honda#4
04-28-2008, 12:27 PM
You can also used Pledge, pretty close to silicon spray really just smells better.

KXRida
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I use silicon spray. WD works ok, but it wears off pretty quick. I've used pam before, it was about as good as wd 40, but held all the dirt so it sucked to clean off.

I usually coat the plastics with tire foam, let it dry, then coat under the fenders with silicon. I go through all the pivot points and wd 40 them as well. It also doesn't hurt to get the cable/lever boots with wd 40 as well. I also get my cables with white lithium grease.

wanta450
04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
the maxima sc1 works great makes plastic look awesome and mud hardly sticks we ran super muddy race this weekend friend uses it and you could tell his bike was blue plain as day at end and all others were just brown

mcwilly
05-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Picked up the latest "ATV Rider" magazine last night. On page 39, there's a big picture of a can of Pam. :D
"Anti-mud stick....spray Pam or any nostick cooing spray on the bottom of the frame, plastic, wheels, axle and all of the places mud would normally collect. This will help the mud fall away instead of sticking to your quad and weighing you down."

Then they go on to list 35 tips for SxS owners...

#32 "Thoroughly clean it...When you're back froim a long weekend on the trail, take the time to go over and under your machine. Pull off all of the plastic after going through excessive mud so you can get to all of the nooks and crannies where mud can hide. Use a good-quality cleaner to help break down excess sludge and grime." (and next to this is a picture of "Muc-Off")

#33 "Make is shine.....After you're done cleaning, use a good silicone-based spray on all of the plastic and frame. This will give it that showroom shine and help ease the cleaning after your next trip."

:macho

DF400ex
05-02-2008, 03:49 AM
How about Militech?

We use it in Iraq on all our weapons. I treated the outside oh my 240 and it makes it easier to clean. It's a dry lube so it doesn't attract dirt, and lasts a long time because it molecularly bonds to the metal. Just a thought.

They say that if you add it to your engine oil it protects your internals and helps your engine run a lil cooler. Not sure how well it will work, but they have been using it in racing for years.