PDA

View Full Version : bought an 05 450r today and need help

projectram
04-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey guys i traded my 05 400ex for an 05 450r today and am having a hard time getting it started. I have never owned a kick start anything so i know i must be doing something wrong. Can you guys tell me some tricks to help me get it so i dont flood it out everytime i try and start it. I have not gotten a chance to check the plug yet but i plan on doing that tomarrow. Any help would be great. Thanks

Eli

TRX450RACER174
04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
It did run at time of trade right? they usually fire right up you might have to choke it but it shouldnt flood and dont give it any gas when kicking it thats bad and can cause kickback.

projectram
04-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah it will run i rod it at the dealer and i have riden it a couple times around my house but its just hard for me to start it. Im have been using the choke too. Maybe its just bad gas or the plug is bad i will find that out wheni pull it though. Yeah i found out the hard way about kick back man did that smart.lol

The dealer was telling me that i need to make its not at the top of the compression stroke to start it. How do i make sure its not? If it is how do i get it back to the bottom? Sorry for the dumb questions im new to this.

blacknblue#2
04-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Ive owned 3 kick starts now and i have my own little routine. I know they say not to do this but i usually give it 3 good pumps of throttle, take my hand off the throttle and kick it. Starts every time. Now if its a chilly day outside, like down around 50 or so ill pump it 3 good times, choke it then kick it. always starts within the first 5 kicks at least.

TRX450RACER174
04-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Ive owned 3 kick starts now and i have my own little routine. I know they say not to do this but i usually give it 3 good pumps of throttle, take my hand off the throttle and kick it. Starts every time. Now if its a chilly day outside, like down around 50 or so ill pump it 3 good times, choke it then kick it. always starts within the first 5 kicks at least.

Thats correct just never kick and hold the throttle open, if it's hard to start it might need a valve adjustment but you said dealer so i i would assume they would check that, gas could be a factor not a bad idea to drain the tank and put fresh gas in.

400exrapes
04-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I had the same problem right when i got my quad off the truck and home after 2 hour drive. I couldnt start it for a while. i give it three good flicks of the trottle too and then right when i kick i always give it a little gas with choke on, but without choke i dont give it any gas cause then it back kicks when its cold.

mak400ex
04-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Check ya plug, prob fouled

Get a new one - gap it - she will start right up.

04-25-2008, 12:36 PM
You need to adjust the valves.

ghott
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Is this bike stock? If not, what mods? What jetting? How many hours are on the bike?

I would check out a few things....

Plug...
Fuel...
Jetting...
Decrompressor setting...
Valve lash...

projectram
04-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I changed the plug today and it started right up but then died right away. After quite a few more kicks it started and i was able to ride it for awhile with out any issue and once i had rode it it would start on the first kick. I am going to try it again in the morning to see how it acts and i will let you guys know.

Yes the bike is stock, i dont know how many hours are on it but it may need the valves adjusted. I meant to ask while i was at the dealer today but forgot i will find out if it got done tomarrow.

04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
If you have any mechanical ability it is easy to do. I would check them myself. Just because they say it was done doesn't mean it was. Even if they did do it...............is it right??

ghott
04-25-2008, 08:11 PM
How high is your idle? You may try adjusting that to see if that is the problem.

projectram
04-26-2008, 04:54 PM
the idol seems fine. I will have budy of mine come by to help me check the valves here soon. What else would the quad do if the valves were off? It rides fine and everything but its only hard to start when it has been sitting for a while. Once i have been riding it for awhile it will start on the first kick. Are 450rs know to be cold blooded? I know my 05 ex was a pain to start when it was cold.