PDA

View Full Version : 88 Swingarm question

Iliketogofast
04-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Is there a machined lip on the inside of the swingarm pivot point that the bearings rest in?

I'm trying to get them out but have no luck trying to beat them in. Any advice? Should I be able to beat them all the way through?

chris46250r
04-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes there is an edge to stop the bearing from going all the way in.

Iliketogofast
04-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Ok, so do you have any idea how to go about getting it out?

As you can tell, I'm completely clueless. It's my first build.

chris46250r
04-24-2008, 01:13 PM
First off be careful with these bearings. You can mess up the swingarm and the new bearings will not be tight in the swinger. I have a long round punch with a good flat end that I can stick through one side and knock the bearing out of the other side. A little bit of heat on the swingarm helps too.

Iliketogofast
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
But wouldn't the punch have to have a bigger diameter than the inside of the bearing in order to punch it out?

If the punch was bigger than the I.D. of the bearing how do you fit it through?

These swingarms suck balls! :mad:

chris46250r
04-24-2008, 07:22 PM
The edge that the bearing goes up against isnt as thick or tall as the bearing. There aint a whole lot sticking up but there is enough. Thats why I said a good punch with a good flat end.

Fear250r
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm going through this same BS right now with my swingarm and can't seem to figure it out. Is there some type of cap or something that holds the bearings in place? I've got the bolt and sleeve out and most of the bearing, they're completely shot and some pieces are stuck the wall, but there seems to be another piece that holds them in place. There's a tiny lip on the outside of the swingarm, is that a separate piece that also comes out?

Iliketogofast
05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
The piece that you think is an extra piece is not. That's what I thought also.

I'm going tomorrow to buy a drillbit that matches the size of the new bearing and I'm going to drill it out. If I go over I'll just get a brass bushing and put in there in place of the bearing, it will be better anyways because there won't be that dissimilar corrosion or whatever it's called.

danhung11
05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
You can use a 12inch 3/8" socket drive extension and place the swingarm in a vise and then lightly tap it out.

Also, if it is a stock swingarm, you can try throwing it in the oven for a bit at like 300 degrees, the aluminum will expand faster than the bearings.

I hope this helps.

Dave83
05-04-2008, 07:55 PM
If you can knock the center and balls out of the bearing,you can cut the outer race with a die grinder.Ive done this many times.It is actually pretty quick.

Fear250r
05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok, let me get this straight. As you look inside the swingarm there is is a lip, is that part of the bearing? As we looked inside, it looked like there was 2, and we thought the inner one, was the bearing and the outer was whatever was there to hold the bearing in. Basically, everything in the rebuild kit is everything I need, there's nothing attached to the swingarm that needs to be reused or anything, right?

Iliketogofast
05-05-2008, 06:56 AM
In the rebuild kit is everything you need. There should be, if you have an 88, two dust seals with O rings, two end caps that have to come out, a long collar that has to come out, and your bearings. All of that **** has to come out before you take the bearings out, but nothing more.

When you have everything apart you should have everything that comes in the kit laying in a pile from where you took it out; nothing more and nothing less.

86 Quad R
05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
i just done one this weekend..... once the dust seal caps, exterier collars and pivot pin is removed you heat up the swinger with a bottle torch and simply approach each bearing from the opposing side with a hammer and long flat punch or equivelant.