PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Lube Question

CGriff
04-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Hey guys I'm doin a rebuild on my quad and was just wondering about the assembly lube. I was told to use assembly lube on all the internal wear points. So should I just use it liberally on the sprockets and cam and stuff?

Honda#4
04-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Everyone told me to use new motor oil.

CGriff
04-24-2008, 07:59 PM
also after the motor is back together and you add oil do u just add it into the oil tank and let it settle or do you have to like run the motor for a few seconds to circulate the oil and add more?

drew416ex
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Run a few seconds and check it. it will prob need more.

NacsMXer
04-24-2008, 09:15 PM
I use Bel-Ray assembly lube on most of the valvetrain stuff. Apply a liberal amount to the cam lobes, journals, and rockers. Pour a little bit of oil in each valve cover tappet hole just prior to initial start-up as well. For everything else, like timing chain, cam sprocket, piston/rings, cylinder walls etc. lube everything liberally with non-synthetic motor oil.

And yes, you should crank the motor up....let it idle for a few minutes and then top off the oil level. A fresh motor will take a bit more oil than when you do routine oil changes. If I can recall it's about 2.3 quarts (disassembled motor) vs. the normal 1.95 quarts.

Chino886
04-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I use Bel-Ray assembly lube on most of the valvetrain stuff. Apply a liberal amount to the cam lobes, journals, and rockers. Pour a little bit of oil in each valve cover tappet hole just prior to initial start-up as well. For everything else, like timing chain, cam sprocket, piston/rings, cylinder walls etc. lube everything liberally with non-synthetic motor oil.

And yes, you should crank the motor up....let it idle for a few minutes and then top off the oil level. A fresh motor will take a bit more oil than when you do routine oil changes. If I can recall it's about 2.3 quarts (disassembled motor) vs. the normal 1.95 quarts.

Only advice I would listen to in this thread so far!

Definitely use assembly lube on the cam parts!