PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rear shock on 450r?

KingpinsEx
04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Anyone tried swaping out a standard travel aftermarket rear 400ex shock on a 450r? Just curious, I believe the ex shock is .1 longer, but that should not make much difference?

400exrider707
04-23-2008, 06:44 PM
More like .8 difference. Almost a full inch. Even if it was the same length it's still not right because of the spring rates and the valving. Just because it bolts up doesn't mean it's right or will work right. I'd save my money and get one made for the quad personally.:cool:

KingpinsEx
04-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
More like .8 difference. Almost a full inch. Even if it was the same length it's still not right because of the spring rates and the valving. Just because it bolts up doesn't mean it's right or will work right. I'd save my money and get one made for the quad personally.:cool:

I guess I should have mentioned what year I was talking about.
2002 400ex rear suspension 9.1 inches of travel.
2005 Trx450r rear suspension 9 inches of travel.

I have heard all this BS before and thats not what im looking for. If you read my question right, I asked has anyone tried this, not do you think it's a good idea. You never know until you try, i don't think a .1 difference is gonna majorly effect a shock. And as far as the valving and spring rates, I think an improperly valved/sprung custom axis shock will still perform far better than a single rate, generic sprung stocker. Plus I have all kinds of adjustability to get the ride right.

Get this straight I do plan to save money and buy a long travel shock later, but am in the process of saving. I just felt this would get me by till then. So if anyone has any REAL experience with this or knowns something other than the usual, "if its not made for that quad it won't work" rethoric let me know.

dustin_j
04-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Actually, the numbers you are looking at are TRAVEL, not shock length. The 400ex shock is almost an inch longer than the 450r shock, but the travel numbers are still comparable. If you have an aftermarket 400ex shock, then try it and let us know. I would imagine it would make the rear of your quad sit awefully high, but maybe the shock will sag enough to work.

You could also have a 400ex aftermarket shock shortened to 450r length, but again I'm not sure how valving and spring rates would compare. Maybe a shock mfg or rebuilder could tell you what to look for.

EDIT: I'm not trying to discourage you trying to save money, I'm in the same boat. I agree the valving on an aftermarket 400ex shock would probably be superior to a stock 450r. The spring rates might be off, but that's an easy change. The only issue you may run across is length of shock, but if you got it shortened it might work out well. Just some things to consider:D

400exrider707
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry you didn't like that answer, but honestly you'll end up saving more money doing it right the first time. I'd hate to see someone end up in the hospital from being bucked off their quad because they were using incorrect components. Like already said you're talking about wheel travel, not shock travel. Do you know the shaft travel for each shock? How do you know they will work. I've heard of people using 450R rears on 400ex's, but again the valving and spring rates are not correct. Progressive valving in the shock and linkage are tossed out the window because of the two different geometries. This isn't an I dont think it will work answer, this is it will bolt up and NOT work correctly answer. Do with it what you want, but it's not correct. :ermm:

KingpinsEx
05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
How do you know they will work.

I've heard of people using 450R rears on 400ex's, but again the valving and spring rates are not correct. This isn't an I dont think it will work answer, this is it will bolt up and NOT work correctly answer. Do with it what you want, but it's not correct. :ermm:

I don't know they will work or even bolt up, that is why I am ASKING...

A stock rear honda 450r shock was not valved sprung or linked for my weight-setup for motocross racing. So I do not see why you are so concerned with all that. An axis rear shock setup for my weight and riding style would certainly ride better regardless of the geometery/linkage if it would bolt up.

Its not like im going to out out and hit a thriple right off the bat without even trying it. If I do bolt it up it will certainly be obvious if it will work or not soon after, that's why I was asking to save myself the trouble if its out of the question.

And im not concerned with what is proper or "correct" in your opinion, again if you read my question that was nowhere in it. I wanted to know if anyone tried it and obviously you have not, so unless you have been bucked off by using this setup or know someone who has im not concerned with your speculation.:confused: :confused: