PDA

View Full Version : new member with 400ex

jeepnhal
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
hi all.been riding a raptor for the last six years but it never did it for me.so as soon as i paid it off i sold it and bought this,for much cheaper too.ive always been a honda guy having cr's,xr's,xl's,atc's,250x'z50s and it feels good to be back on one.i even ride more often now :D .its parked for a few days because i blew the rear bearings,my fault.drowned it and neglected to grease the rear before riding it again.but i bought a 4 bearing carrier which will be here tomorow.
so here it is 2001 400ex,stock motor,white bros e series,magura hydraulic clutch,ac nerf bars,aluminum skid plates and bumpers,billet gas cap covers and blockoff plate,renthal bars,durablue axle and antifade,rad carrier(had)and razrs front and rear.my only plans for now are 450 carb to make it run a little better.and when it starts burning oil ill 440 it.for now im just havin fun!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/jeepnhal/thetoyz1002.jpg

Hatchman
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Welcome to the site, though I'm only about a week more than you. Hmm, I'll have to do a search on how to grease the bearings since I don't have an owners manual or maintenance manual. I sunk mine last weekend too, and I'm sure they need it.

Again, welcome, nice ride!!

REPOMAN
04-23-2008, 03:30 PM
welcome to the site.
greasing the carrier bearings is going to have to be done by removeing the bearings and repacking them with grease unless you have an aftermarket carrier that has a grease zerk

jeepnhal
04-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Hatchman
Welcome to the site, though I'm only about a week more than you. Hmm, I'll have to do a search on how to grease the bearings since I don't have an owners manual or maintenance manual. I sunk mine last weekend too, and I'm sure they need it.

thanks for the welcome!

jeepnhal
04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Hatchman

thanks for the welcome!
i belive on the stock carrier you have to remove axle and bearing to repack them.i had a rad aftermarket carrier and didnt notice the grease fitting.when i loosened the swingarm pinch bolts about a cup of pond water dumped out.the worst part is it took out a rad carrier (250 bux)durablue antifade locing nut and rotor hub(250 bux)and caliper bracket.couldve been avoided buy 1.00 in grease,oh well now i know.

the only thing now is my rotor hub,i cant afford one so i filed and cleaned it as best as i can.im hoping it will work.if not i have to find out if a stock honda one will work with a durablue axle and the carrier i bought.

like the saying goes fluids are cheap,parts aint:rolleyes:

keep an eye on yours especially if it got more than splashed,like if you were stuck or stopped in the puddle

jeepnhal
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
welcome to the site.
greasing the carrier bearings is going to have to be done by removeing the bearings and repacking them with grease unless you have an aftermarket carrier that has a grease zerk

thanks for the welcome!

youre right.one thing i dont get is how will grease get to the brake side bearings with the zerk all the way on the left.im paranoid now lol and just wondering

Gatekeeper
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome! I put an ECAtv twinrow carrier on mine a few weeks ago after a stock bearing went out. My zerk is in the center of the carrier, but I have to slide the axle/carrier out to grease. Not the most convenient, unless Im missing something

400ex28
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Welcome! :)

jeepnhal
04-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Welcome! I put an ECAtv twinrow carrier on mine a few weeks ago after a stock bearing went out. My zerk is in the center of the carrier, but I have to slide the axle/carrier out to grease. Not the most convenient, unless Im missing something

yea youre right,you do have to slide carrier out to get to that zerk.thats why i bought the one i did.i got it from a guy in pa on ebay.135 new shipped,4 bearing and has the grease fitting by the chain adjuster,so i dont have to take it apart.i just hope it isnt junk.no name so ill have to see it when it gets here and then try it out.

jeepnhal
04-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by 400ex28
Welcome! :)

thank you ,thank you