PDA

View Full Version : burning inside silencer

SoonerYFZ
04-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I was following my son while he was riding his 06 MXR90 last Saturday and noticed that the inside of his silencer was glowing cherry red. There was alot of smoke coming out and it was not the usual 2-stroke smoke. It seemed to subside after about 10 minutes but I wonder what could have caused that and if there is anything that might need to be replaced. How easy is it to repack the silencer?

dodgepower
04-23-2008, 05:47 PM
pop the rivets..... pull the insert out.....take two stroke packing (any brand) and wrap aound the insert.....tape it lightly......slide it back in and pop more rivets in or put screws in.............was it the silencer or head pipe glowing.................

bye the way i hate OU............im a Mizzou Tiger fan:)(origianally from there)

SoonerYFZ
04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
It was definitely the silencer, I could see inside the exhaust opening since I was following him and the whole inside was glowing. It appeared to be burning the packing but I wonder what could have caused it to burn in the first place.

Oh and I think everyone that is not an OU fan hates OU. The Sooners and Stoops seem to bring out the emotions good or bad in everyone.

dodgepower
04-23-2008, 07:51 PM
well if that packing was a couple of years old its brittle and already burned.......a backfire might have got it......not sure never really seen a burn in the silencer though maybe someone else has.

SoonerYFZ
04-28-2008, 04:41 PM
I replaced the packing yesterday and while it had a solid wrap of packing in there already, I haven't seen the problem happen again. So I'll just consider it fixxed.

dodgepower
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
good deal