PDA

View Full Version : How to build an MX track?

bushwesl
04-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm going to start getting into MX racing and would like to build a track this summer on some land of mine. It's a decent size area, and I think I have most of the tools, e.g. back hoe, dump truck, and my neighbor has a skid steer (Bob Cat) that I could borrow, to make this work. I'd just like to know some ideas of how to go about building it. What size/type of jumps/tabletops, angle of take off/landing, height/length of moguls, angle of birmed/banked corners, etc., etc.? I know there is no pre-determined sizes for anything, but I was hoping that someone could point me into the right direction here. I'd also like to know if anyone has any ideas on the layout of the track, what should be where, and in what order.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

bushwesl
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Here is an idea of the area that I'm trying to develop. The area that is circled is what I have available... maybe a little more, but we'll see.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2my2s1k.jpg

hawood
04-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Check out this website, they have some imfo on it about building tracks. These are the guys that build all of the Supercross tracks so they should know what their doing. http://dirtwurx.com/index.php

elementryder
04-24-2008, 05:21 AM
you gotta have a rythem section containing 10-12 small doubles there always funn,a huge table top, go 60ft doubles and smaller ones,off camber turn,stup up and step down

dan harris
04-24-2008, 05:54 AM
My suggestions would be to start in the field on your quad, and lay out the track while your riding, that way you don't have turns too tight, make sure that you have a nice flowing loop, run it in good so you can clearly see it. Once you have that done you'll be able to see where the jumps will fit. Build mostly table tops, they take more dirt but are much safer, especially while you are getting the lips and landings right. After building a jump hit it a couple times, If you go to high, tame the lip down, if your not going far enough then lip it up.

Hauling dirt is a pain and its a very slow process. Try scraping the ground around the jumps to get your dirt, it will be much faster.

If you need more ideas come check out the tracks at the proving Grounds.

Hope this helped some.

If you get overwhelmed and want to hire someone to build it for you then send me an email. I do build private tracks on the side. I've done over two dozen tracks. The average 5 acre track will cost about $5 grand. A small investment to have a professional practice track at your house.

bwamos
04-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Not a bad price for all the earthwork required.