PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle = bad things!!!

ib2strokin
04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
well i just had my first experience using a twist throttle on a quad. ive been doing a rebuild on my 88 R that i bought about 10 months ago. i just put in a fresh rebuilt 265 that has been stoked 2mm, 67.50 bore and mid -top porting, anyways, i also installed a motion pro turbo throttle to work with the 39 pwk. i put a couple heat cycles on the motor over the past couple of days but havent gotten to ride untill earlier today. well i got the motor warmed up and was just makin a couple of trips around my back yard to kinda get a feel for the new throttle. then i guess i gave it a lil too much gas and the front end lifted unexpectedly....well i start falling backward while still holding the throttle......it steers me right towards my little mower shed and i face plant the bars when it hit!! i damn near cut my top lip in half in two places! luckily i didnt knock my teeth out or hit my head! everything happened so fast! this isnt my first quad wreck but its my first with a twist throttle! if would have had my thumb throttle on, this wouldnt have hapened! needless to say i will prolly have a brand new tubo throttle and cable with oury grip for sale pretty soon! im gna try again tomorrow ( in wide open spaces of course) but i dont think im gna like this throttle. just thought i would share a lil story with ya!! ill post some pics tomorrow

pdxbigfoot
04-22-2008, 11:20 PM
6 inch scar on my tailbone from my 1st attempt (and last) at a twist. I had just installed a 36mm Mikuni on my Honda 350x 3 wheeler and it came with a twist so i didnt even bat an eye. Putt, putt...hmmm time for a wheelie.fun, fun.,happy,happy.......oh god!! over i went. Sliding and givin that puppy full throttle. Thats one way to do a plug chop!

All250R
04-23-2008, 10:30 AM
If you came up on dirt bikes i guess it's a different story. I was nervous to do a twist on my R, but I've never had a problem. THmb throttles give me serious hand fatigue, so I'm glad too... Sorry bout things not going well. :ermm:

ib2strokin
04-23-2008, 10:59 AM
well i didnt grow up on dirt bikes but i have road crotch rockets for manyyears so i thought it would similar. all i can say is that these razr 2's really hookup!! lol!

two85atc250r's
04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I have twists on both of my R's and all I can say is that once you really get used to it you never want to go back. I ride mainly in the sand though so I don't have quite the serious hookup that you are getting on dirt with those razors. Just give it one full all day ride and I think you might fall in love with the twist. Good luck with the lip man.

ib2strokin
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
yea, i pulled it out of the side of the shed today and checked for damage and all i could find was a broke front bumper so thats cool. im gna give it another try over the nect couple days to see if i like it, ill let ya'll know what happens

ib2strokin
04-23-2008, 05:25 PM
here is a pic...

04-23-2008, 06:41 PM
well i have been riding dirt bike to but i never had this prob i just let go with that hand a lil

deathman53
04-23-2008, 07:38 PM
all my atv's have twists and won't go any other way. If you ride dirtbikes alot, twists are easy to ride. I too, thumb throttles cramp my hands up really bad. Only 1 of my friends will ride my atv's, all the others are afraid of twists on a quad/trike, its a great way to stop people from wanting to ride your bike. Once you get used to a twist, you won't want to ride anything else also.

danhung11
04-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Glad to hear you are okay...

I had just put a bunch of goodies on my 400EX, went down to Little Sahara State Park, riding dunes. I wasn't out but 5 minutes into our first ride, hadn't even set up camp and I was hauling ***** to hit a pretty big dune. Little did I know that my right hand was death gripping the grips to hang on... I was in 4th tapped. I hit this dune and shot up like 15 feet up in the air and about 30 feet out. It landed but right when I hit, the bike shot out from underneath me and landed on my tailbone. OUCH! I did it again on the next dune and broke my flag this time. Luckily, both times...the bike just rode itself out. Lucky!

Guess what I did then?

I went back to camp and bought an aftermarket throttle. The shop prices was ridiculously high more like robbery, but there was no way I was riding the rest of the weekend like that.

In the end, my twist throttle experience cost me a lot of money and a sore tail bone. :(

Iliketogofast
04-24-2008, 07:25 PM
My R came with a twist and it's something I got used to simply because I couldn't afford at the time to switch it back. I traded it for a 400EX and an LT160, I didn't have a dime to my name.

So I had a few near accidents but after a while you get used to it. I love it now. If I got a new bike today I would switch it over to a twist. I wouldn't say there is any advantage it has over a thumb other than it's just more comfortable and it doesn't get your wrists aching.

ib2strokin
04-24-2008, 08:21 PM
well i still have my stock thumb throttle but i will have to get a new cable for this carb, if i decide to put it back on. i just dont think the twist is gonna be good for me cause ill be riding trails and thats gonna be a lot of movin around on the bike and i dont want to have this happen again when im tryin to squeeze through some trees or something. i can see its practical use in the dunes but i aint got any dunes round here( that sucks!!)!!

deathman53
04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I have found that the trick to riding a quad/trike with a twist throttle, is NOT to hold on the right grip too hard. Also holding on the tank with your knees helps too. I had some problems at first, changed my riding style and I'll never go back to a thumb.

j450rking
04-25-2008, 08:45 PM
i had a streamline twister on my 416 and that was crazy it was at full throttle in about a quarter of a turn so lets just say i punched it and there went the front end to the sky and i'll never have a twister again. the thing is dirt bikes are ok bc it takes a full turn to get to full throttle and the aftermarket ones are for racing so they hit full throttle fast.

tg413
04-26-2008, 08:28 AM
I've had both thumbs and twist's on my quads over the years..Never had any problems with twists but prefer the thumb on the quad....When I'm cutting hard to the right or leaning the the right to do a donut , it seems like the twist almost gets in the way...I ride twist throttles almost every day with my street bikes and dirtbike, but it just seems like the thumb is the only way to go on the quad for me.....
Glad you didn't get broken up hitting that shed....Next time just let the throttle slip back under your hand, or hit the rear brake..........

ib2strokin
04-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by tg413
Next time just let the throttle slip back under your hand, or hit the rear brake..........

well i got to thinkin about that after it happened and i think that if i would have set the front end down before i hit the shed, i would have flew straight over the bars and broke the shed with my head!

ib2strokin
04-27-2008, 05:07 PM
well i got out and rode a lil today and this is what i came up with....
the motor im running is a 67.50 mm bore mid- top end port by C&C, FTZ head, +2mm stroke, 39 pwk, vforce reeds, FTZ fat inframe pipe and silencer, runnin Turbo Blue 115 race gas, 14/39 gearing with 20 in. razr 2's........when the power hits, its too hard to control it with a twist throttle, i havent even got the jetting perfect yet and in 2nd gear the front end comes up when in gets into the powerband. i think it will be alot more controllable if i put the thumb throttle back on. this is the first modded motor ive ever ran (2nd 2-stroke ive ever ran), my first was a stock 88 with a fresh topend and FTZ pipe. it was plenty fast, but nothing compared to this motor!!!:D :D :blah: and ive even got a 12T front sprocket that i was gonna put on...

what are you guys thoughts?

2muchquad
04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
you dont want to go with a 12t front because you'll be shifting too much.You'll have lots of snap though,not good with a twist throttle:D Sounds like a good set up you have