PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Z400 skidplate?..pics??

IQRaceworks
04-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I've working on a home made skidplate for the bottom of my Z400. I made a template and after fitting it up.....had the final part laser cut out of a piece of .190" 6061 Aluminum. It fits up great, but I'm having a hard time trying to decide how to mount the thing. I can use the two bolts that hold on the factory plastic skidplate under the motor for the rear of the plate.....but what do I use for the middle of the plate, and the front up by the nose?

Could someone place post some closeups of how they mounted their plates?

I'll make sure to post up some pics once I have it all finished.

Thanks

RATPACK Z400
05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I use a MEN AT WORK sign for the belly skid.will show pics later.

IQRaceworks
05-07-2008, 05:57 AM
I finished my home-made skidplate. I cut it out of a piece of .190" 5052 Aluminum....really hard stuff. I will have to post pics soon...it looks great, is tough as hell, and only cost me a few dollars to make.

:D

ceofuller
05-16-2008, 07:42 PM
You don't HAVE to put bolts in the middle. I put the two in where the original plastic plat went then I put one in the front. That is enough fasteners to do the trick.

There is no preasure on the plate and vibration is minimal. It dosn't take much to hold a skid plate on, I have had mine like this for a couple years. Dunes, mud and trail and its still in place protecting my powdercoat finish.

There are nice big gouges in it where i have cranked it a few times and it never moves.

Good luck my man!

IQRaceworks
05-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Well, here are the pics of it installed.

It seems to work great....what do you think?

Not to bad for taking some measurements, drawing it up in AutoCAD, and cutting it out on a plasma table. I chamfered the bolt holes and used some flat head cap screws to attach it.....so there is nothing sticking out the bottom to catch on any rock or stumps.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8255/1009949sce3.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6035/1009962saq1.jpg

sprocket226
05-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Great job, looks good!

jherbie28
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
looks like its time to put your name on it and start selling;)

looks great was it worth all the time and price of material? rather then just buying one new

IQRaceworks
05-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by jherbie28
looks like its time to put your name on it and start selling;)

looks great was it worth all the time and price of material? rather then just buying one new

Yes, it was well worth it. It probably took me 45min. to measure it, draw in in AutoCAD, and print out a full scale paper part to test fit up. After I made sure it would fit, I programed it on the plasma table, cut it out...then drilled the holes and chamfered them.

I probably have a few hours of labor in it, and the material was just some scrap I had laying around at work.

It really didn't cost me anything to make it....just a little time to measure it up, cut it out, and install it.

I would love to start making them and selling them, I just don't have the time to do that.....and they may not like it at the place I work if I start running all of those parts across their machines

:D