PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating on headers?

Hondahillbilly
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Is it worth 150 bucks?

DementeD
04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
imo i wouldnt do it..

and what is ur point as to ceramic coating?
i wrapped my header and it works wonders..it looks good and keeps the heat off ur leg while riding..just something u could look into..

off jegs i spent 45 bucks shipped and have enough left over to wrap it atleast 2 more times

dustin_j
04-22-2008, 01:29 PM
DementeD, you have a pm.

I doubt the ceramic coating is worth that much; I have heard of cases where it rubs off. You could either buy an aftermarket header already coated, or use bbq paint. I like the wrapping idea myself.

04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I actually heard that creamic coating robs HP. People said if you ever get the Curtis Sparks dont get the cermaic coatd because you wont have as much power. I have no clue why though

drew416ex
04-22-2008, 03:01 PM
I had it on mine and it only looks good for a few months. It only costs $70 to get it done around here though. $150 sounds kinda high.

Hatchman
04-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I paid a crazy amount ($120) to have a small pipe ceramic coated by Jet Hot before, never again. Not really worth it. Didn't really look all the great and still cracked/flaked off.

Ceramic coating will not rob horsepower, it actually increases. Hotter gass have higher scavaging and flow, lowering exhaust restriction and back pressure. Doesn't look great for that long though, especially after mud or greasy finger prints get cooked on it. Looks pretty good for a while, though.

Tried BBQ paint on headers before. Paint started smoking and turned chalky white then flaked off, so didn't really work.

Header wrap to me looks kind of crappy, like a mummy. It will turn brown/black and get brittle and will need to be replace, especially after saoking in mud/water then cooking for while. But does keep the heat off your leg, and can be easily replaced/rewrapped.

04-22-2008, 08:35 PM
my big gun came coated...it looks the same as it it did on day 1

DementeD
04-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Hatchman
I paid a crazy amount ($120) to have a small pipe ceramic coated by Jet Hot before, never again. Not really worth it. Didn't really look all the great and still cracked/flaked off.

Ceramic coating will not rob horsepower, it actually increases. Hotter gass have higher scavaging and flow, lowering exhaust restriction and back pressure. Doesn't look great for that long though, especially after mud or greasy finger prints get cooked on it. Looks pretty good for a while, though.

Tried BBQ paint on headers before. Paint started smoking and turned chalky white then flaked off, so didn't really work.

Header wrap to me looks kind of crappy, like a mummy. It will turn brown/black and get brittle and will need to be replace, especially after saoking in mud/water then cooking for while. But does keep the heat off your leg, and can be easily replaced/rewrapped.

I think header wrap looks nice if cleanly done..also if u get black..i dont think ull have a problem with color..
it also helps hp or is suppose to ..and like said does a great job at keeping heat off the leg..which is good enough reason to use itt for me

Hatchman
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by DementeD
I think header wrap looks nice if cleanly done..also if u get black..i dont think ull have a problem with color..
it also helps hp or is suppose to ..and like said does a great job at keeping heat off the leg..which is good enough reason to use itt for me

I haven't tried the black, but would definitely use that over white. Yes, heat off the leg would make it worth it.