PDA

View Full Version : Pink Wire

ds450
04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I put a rossier exhaust on my bike, cut the sides of the air box and removed the lid and diconnected the pink wire and it ran like crap. I reconnected the pink wire and my bike runs so much better. It pulls so much harder and it starts alot easier.

dirtycarl
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM
As I understand it, the pink wire is meant for removing the airbox lid and spark arrestor, not an aftermarket pipe.

Fly By Night
04-25-2008, 05:15 AM
Like other 450's on the market he DS450 has 2 calibrations mapped into the ECM. One calibration is designed for a completely stock engine, and the other is for a high flow muffler and running the air box with the lid off—or using a K&N with the lid on, and holes drilled into the box.
There is a pink wire with a black tracer located by some blue tape right above the ECM. Stock calibration is achieved with the wire intact, modified calibration is achieved if the wire is cut.
If the wire is cut, it can be re-connected to achieve stock calibration again.

I've heard of some guys that cut the wire, remove the air box lid and flame arrester out of the muffler. This helps some, but marginally.

This is the first time I have heard that the bike ran better with the wire connected using a different exhaust and open air box. I know you complained before about the motoworks air filter, may-be the filter your using now is the problem.

ds450
04-25-2008, 06:18 AM
With the pink wire connected my quad runs really rich and falls off quick on top end, but with the wire connected it pulls so much harder and farther. Plus it doesnt like starting first thing in the morning and ideling smooth when its disconnected.

Joe@rossier
04-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Charlie from Rossier here. Let me explain what's going on here. When Can Am deveolped this quad, they wanted new owners to be able to modify them for increased performance. Some might want to race, others just want to be able to bump up the ponies. Being fuel injected, there is no cheap or easy way to modify the fuel curve should you add a pipe, free flowing inlet kit, etc. Unlike a carburated engine where you simply swap jets, F.I. requires computer re-mapping, an expensive proposition and one not easily done anywhere but on a chassis dyno. So Can Am programed a second fuel/spark map into the ECU anticipating the need when customers were ready to modify the quad. This new map has a substantail increase in fuel richness and adds a bit more timing. We have tested this bike extensively on the dyno and can tell you that if you are running an effectice exhaust system like ours, you ABSOLUTELY need to run with the wire cut. Full throttle operation will be way too lean with the modified engine and will eventually lead to shortened engine life. Most people successfully cut the wire even when only installing our air kit, and have offered no complaints. What you are experiencing is that the added richness can cause a number of small changes in the engine's behavior. It will be a bit richer than it needs to be on the bottom and the midrange. It also has a bit more timing than optimum in those areas. This may contribute to a slightly rougher idle than stock, and a quick handful of throttle at idle may result in a slight gag, but hey, this is a modified engine and shouldn't be expected to have docile manners like a stocker; that's why you modified it in the first place! However, as a generic tune, that is, one to suit a number of aftermarket air kits and exhaust systems, it is completely suitable. Anybody wanting to buy an aftermarket ECU tuner, when they are available, will be able to dial in a more specific map, but this will require time on a chassis dyno and air/fuel ratio sensors, as this can't be done by the seat of the pants. While not perfect, the auxillary map should work just fine and not cause the "runs like crap" complaint of this writer. Truth be told, we have sold over 100 of these pipes, most with free-breathing air kits, and this is the first time we've heard a complaint like this. Overwhelmingly, people are delighted with the performance and register no tuning complaints. While unlikely, this owner may have some other undetected issue that is contributing to his woes. We strongly recommend against running our pipe without cutting the wire as air/fuel ratios will be dangerously lean. I hope this sheds a little light on this confusing topic.

ScottB125
04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Charlie,

Do you know what the PCM operates in...speed density, alpha-n or something else?

There looks to be a MAP sensor on the TB, but I haven't looked at it real close.

Punk'd
04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I run the Rossier exhaust, Motoworks filter and the lid off with the pink wire cut.

I think it runs perfect and others who have road it step off with nothing but a smile on their face.

shanester22
05-01-2008, 07:13 AM
hey joe, what if i cut the pink wire and don't have a pipe or air kit yet? is it dangerous to my engine? if it is i'll re-connect it and wait. (I took off the lid and removed the spark arrestor) thanks to anyone who may know for sure. this thread is kinda scaring me now cause i don't need anymore trouble with my quad. thanks again.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/FILE0011.jpg