PDA

View Full Version : Shifting without the clutch???

MAKO19
04-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Guys this may sound stupid but again I am new to this hobby. I was talking to a lot of my buddies that ride and they said they only used the clutch to get into first gear. Is this the proper way to shift the quad? Can I hurt the trans by going through the gears without the clutch? What is the correct way to shift?

Thanks!

zrpilot
04-22-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm sure you will get many opinions on this subject, but, I use the clutch whenever possible.

If, however, I find myself in a situation where I need a gear change and getting to clutch is a problem, then I'll shift without one.

IMO not using the clutch puts wear on the shifter forks, so use the clutch to minimize this wear.

BigBore24
04-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by zrpilot
I'm sure you will get many opinions on this subject, but if I can use the clutch I do.

If however, I find myself in a situation where I need a gear change and getting to clutch is a problem, then I'll shift without one.

IMO not using the clutch puts wear on the shifter forks, so use the clutch to minimize this wear.

100% agreed. i use mine about 80% of the time. sometimes i dont use it in a drag race or a wheelie. not saying it will mess your quad up immediately if you dont use it but over time you will wear your trans more. i notice especially when i dont use it coming out of first it has a tendency to go into neutral and that sucks during a drag race

zdowell
04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
i'll 3rd that. It goes for anything, like atv's, motorcycles etc.... It may not hurt it that bad, but over time you will probably start having troubles with the tranny. If you are just riding around, I would suggest using it when ever possible.

Hondamaster5505
04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I use my clutch CONSTANTLY! Its designed to be a manual, not a semi-auto:rolleyes:

I only sometimes not use the clutch in the winter. I hate using the clutch in the cold. I don't do it often though

MAKO19
04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I use my clutch CONSTANTLY! Its designed to be a manual, not a semi-auto:

That is what I thought when my buddies told me that they never use the clutch. I just always use it. Maybe I won't use it during drags but that's it.

DementeD
04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
i use it as much as possible..but definitely find my self slipping up and not using it when "draggin" it..

thats pretty much how i raced my dirtbikes back n the day and i find the old habits coming back..although never have a ever had any tranny problems but im sure its definitely more then possible and will eventually happen..

07trx400ex
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
In constant mesh transmissions if the rpms's are matched exactly on an upshift there is no problem or wear associated with not using the clutch.

trx400EXtreme
04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
the way i see it...... the clutch is there for a reason. the only time ive never used it is drag racing at the dunes, and that was only like 2 times.

04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I use the clutch 100% of the time wile moving or when the engine is running. If it is off I will shift to neutral or something without the clutch but never while moving. The clutch is there for a reason so use it. I rather wear out a clutch than replace a transmission.

zrpilot
04-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex
In constant mesh transmissions if the rpms's are matched exactly on an upshift there is no problem or wear associated with not using the clutch.

True, but NEARLY impossible to do!

04-22-2008, 02:47 PM
True, but NEARLY impossible to do!

ower shifting can be done but you have to have the perfect RPm and for someone to know that without a RPM gauge and knowing when its possible would be pretty impossible

07trx400ex
04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
You guys act like power shifting is like finding the fountain of youth; it is really not that hard.

Granted I don't do it very often for the obvious reasons, but it is really not that hard.

If you have never tried it before.

Motor along in second apply very light pressure to the shifter gradually increase rpm's and you will feel it engage.

Tomorrow post back and tell me what you think now.

b4wheeler
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Since we are all rookies here, I think this question is better answered by a professional..
You do realize the using the clutch will stop power from getting through the drive train....as it is supposed to do to allow the engagement of the transmission.
So, with that understood, do you think that a professional rider is going to allow himself to stop putting power to the ground and allow his opponent to catch up to him....
No....
I am almost positive that any pro rider will tell you that they never used the clutch except for starts....
On my old 2-stroke Cr's I never used the clutch to upshift, but always used it to downshift...
Take it for what you want, but that is my take on the whole clutch...
Use it and lose it. ....

zrpilot
04-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by b4wheeler
Since we are all rookies here, I think this question is better answered by a professional..
You do realize the using the clutch will stop power from getting through the drive train....as it is supposed to do to allow the engagement of the transmission.
So, with that understood, do you think that a professional rider is going to allow himself to stop putting power to the ground and allow his opponent to catch up to him....
No....
I am almost positive that any pro rider will tell you that they never used the clutch except for starts....
On my old 2-stroke Cr's I never used the clutch to upshift, but always used it to downshift...
Take it for what you want, but that is my take on the whole clutch...
Use it and lose it. ....
I don't think you would be able to shift if you never let up on the gas to take the pressure off the gears...try it. Go out on your 400EX and accelerate at full throttle in first gear while trying to shift to second, then to third, and so on until top gear, never letting up on the gas.
You will find, that you do, in fact, have to let up on the gas to shift.

In a race do you think a DNF because of a broken tranny, is an acceptable risk for NOT using the clutch?

Most pros these days are running the Rekluse clutch and they don't need to actuate a clutch to shift.

my88r
04-22-2008, 10:57 PM

Most pros these days are running the Rekluse clutch and they don't need to actuate a clutch to shift.

that might be true for woods guys. i dont see the need in mx. i do not use the clutch to shift.

zrpilot
04-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by my88r
that might be true for woods guys. i dont see the need in mx. i do not use the clutch to shift.
I don't know about MX riders. I'll bet you let up on the gas to shift?

red_rider_069
04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
nothinhg will happen if you power shift as long as you hit the rpms right on.. like a car =).. but you got to know when, you got to feel it.. but i usually use clutch for everything :).. so you'll jsut get use to shifting your own way.. there no real way of any one tellion g you how :)

my88r
04-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't know about MX riders. I'll bet you let up on the gas to shift?

true, i think there normally in the right rpm range. i know when i ride my ktm. im usually put in second and ride. higher gear,for the open. but i dont shift throw all the gears while riding. i car you half to go to the top gear for speed. so the cars you need to use the clutch.

MAKO19
04-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys for all of the replies. I am already used to using the clutch and I think I will continue to use that method. When I was talking about not using the clutch I of course was talking about letting off the gas when shifting. Same thing you would do when normally shifting except not using the clutch. The few times I tried it everything seemed to shift good but I am just not sure what is going on inside the trans and I don't want to put excessive wear on it if I don't have to.

zdowell
04-23-2008, 12:47 PM
pro riders don't use their clutch if they have one of those expensive type clutches. I cant think of the name right now. One of my friends races all the time, been doing it all his life. He has a special set up were he only uses it when he comes to a stop. If you don't use your clutch on a regular set up, your tranny will wear faster than usual.