PDA

View Full Version : stator

hondaracer263
04-22-2008, 07:08 AM
do stators usually go out on 2005 yfz i have up to have throttle when it gets warm and it is jetted right, but when it has been idling and then go to ride it i have to have throttle and it is a dog i just doesn't want to run period after it gets hot. A little Help?

blingstar87450
04-22-2008, 08:35 PM
wow thats so weird i came on here going to ask the same exact question. my 05 is doin the same exact thing. i cant start mine right now cuz my batterys fryed but il have my new 1 tmrw. but i charged my battery and threw it back in and it took a minute to get goin. then it started actin super weird. at first it sounded great, it was idling awesome and sounded better then ever and i was suprised cuz i havent even started it in a while but once it got a little hotter like 2 mins later, i had to hold in the throttle more and more to keep it running. it sounded like sh*t, and just didnt wanna run. once it died, my battery wouldnt start the bike but my new battery should be here tmrw. i told my local shop about this and he said its more then likely an electrical problem. and he said most likely a stator so thats probley it. is this what your bike does? if so it probley is a stator.

hondaracer263
04-24-2008, 08:27 AM
yah thats what they told me to and mine is running the same way that you say yours is when it gets hot it won't run for **** it still runs but i only have half throttle, i ordered a new stator so it should be hereeither saturday or monday and then ill keep in touch thanks

daddio
04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
What kind of kill switch do you guy's run?

blingstar87450
04-24-2008, 06:15 PM
pro design....yeah hondaracer let me know if that works out for u. if so i gotta order 1 to.

daddio
04-24-2008, 06:26 PM
You guy's are frying your stator by grounding with the kill switch.
Been there, done that, also. Since I switched to the Pingle (normaly closed like the stock kill switch) I have had no problems with my stators on 4 YFZ's. And everybody I ride/race with that has Pingles on their YFZ's also havn't had any problems.

hondaracer263
04-25-2008, 09:17 AM
whats this pingle kill switch your are talking about i am running a pro design

daddio
04-25-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.pingelonline.com/two_piece.htm

Pro Armour is supposed to be coming out with a normaly closed style kill switch, but I have yet to see it.

jshtex
04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by daddio
You guy's are frying your stator by grounding with the kill switch.
Been there, done that, also. Since I switched to the Pingle (normaly closed like the stock kill switch) I have had no problems with my stators on 4 YFZ's. And everybody I ride/race with that has Pingles on their YFZ's also havn't had any problems.

Daddio, I have had some stator/rectifier issues on our 04 and I run a Pro Design kill switch. Well we have one on the bike but it is rarely used. Anyway, our is hooked up basically accross the stator, not really grounding it out (at least not to the frame or anything). Do you think that could be a plus or a bad thing.

blingstar87450
04-26-2008, 02:50 PM
what if it was running a stock kill switch. i had those problems a few days ago like i posted above that me and hondaracer talked about, and now today, even after i just threw in my new YTZ10S battery, my quad wont even start. i suck at electrical work, dont have the slightest clue but i guess all im asking is, will a new stator have my bike running good again?

daddio
04-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by jshtex
Daddio, I have had some stator/rectifier issues on our 04 and I run a Pro Design kill switch. Well we have one on the bike but it is rarely used. Anyway, our is hooked up basically accross the stator, not really grounding it out (at least not to the frame or anything). Do you think that could be a plus or a bad thing.

Bad thing.........You are still "shorting out" the stator to kill it.

blingstar87450
04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by blingstar87450
what if it was running a stock kill switch. i had those problems a few days ago like i posted above that me and hondaracer talked about, and now today, even after i just threw in my new YTZ10S battery, my quad wont even start. i suck at electrical work, dont have the slightest clue but i guess all im asking is, will a new stator have my bike running good again?

any1??

daddio
04-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by blingstar87450
any1??

It's no gaurentee that a new stator will "fix" your problem. Eletrical problems are hard to diagnose. You could have a wire shorted somewhere.

That reminds me........... Take your rear fenders off, and remove the tape and sheathing from the wire harness in the last 6"-8". There are two wires that splice into one. I think they are green, but they may be yellow/red. I can't remember. That connection has broken on all 3 of my YFZ's.

#17YFZRACER
04-28-2008, 07:31 PM
if i run a pro armor that grounds to the frame is that going to screw with my stator? ive heard of this but not sure. you guys got me scared:(

daddio
04-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
if i run a pro armor that grounds to the frame is that going to screw with my stator? ive heard of this but not sure. you guys got me scared:(

Yes. Sooner or later your stator will suffer a tragic death.

hondaracer263
04-29-2008, 06:56 AM
yah but also i have a wiring harness for a kicker model, is that why mine wouldn't kickstart and we had to bump start it all the time?

#17YFZRACER
04-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes. Sooner or later your stator will suffer a tragic death.

does it only hurt it when the tether is pulled or does just having it on the bike do it?

daddio
04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
does it only hurt it when the tether is pulled or does just having it on the bike do it?

Pulling the teather. If you never or seldom use the teather, then it will be a long time before the stator dies.
My kid killed his because he had just moved from his blaster, where he was used to pulling the teather to shut the bike off, and he kept doing it on the YFZ, and never used the key.

#17YFZRACER
04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
thats what i thought. i only use mine when im racing otherwise i dont hook it to me at all. thanks for the help daddio