PDA

View Full Version : WPSA going under?????

jrspawn
04-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Well theres been alot of talk here recently with the WPSA. Rumors of the cancellation of the first race have been around for a while now, and the rumor became true(leaving ALOT of people screwed from making plans for it already). Now the latest is that they are possibly going under? Anyone else heard this lately? For the racers and families that have made plans for the series this year, i hope its not true.

Thank you
justin

Mxjunkie
04-21-2008, 11:57 PM
From the sounds of thing's they must of lost a huge source of income for the series.. Wonder who backed out of it? It would have to be one of the top dog sponsors of the series to effect it enough to cause a failure of it.

Also as Jrspawn stated it really sucks for those out there who have made plans, planned dates and trained for the events. I guess everyone will be hitting up the nationals this season if all these rumors are true but with the way the cost of traveling is who knows.

A A R O N
04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
I heard some things about it but don't really feel like starting anything and causing rumors that may or may not be completely true, but if I had to put money on it....I'd say that when the time comes, most, if not all of the schedule will be cancelled. From my understanding, there was another non atv related organization involved that doesn't want the wpsa around, for whatever reason.

SRH
04-22-2008, 08:11 PM
i think were better off with the atva/ama in the long run plus i like racing them better

Warnerade
04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
a lot of their tracks sucked anyway...

trx400EXtreme
04-22-2008, 08:27 PM
i agree about the tracks sucking, but i think the fact they were televised on espn was awesome. there are so many people who watch espn. amagine how that could/has helped the sport.

SRH
04-22-2008, 08:30 PM
a spot on speed would prob be better

trx400EXtreme
04-22-2008, 08:52 PM
yea it would..... it's not like it couldn't happen. half the stuff on speed is re-runs of a bunch of shows ..... for example PINKS.

Pappy
04-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I have always been a proponent of having 2 major atv series. I think that it creates an enviroment that allows the sport to grow and as long as it is managed properly there should be no negative effects for the sport or the series competing for your attendence.

What does upset me is how in the past riders have bad mouthed one or the other. This is not professional and shows poorly on our sport. Disagreeing with a series or how it is run can be handled in a way that better supports the issues without dragging all of us in the gutter just to get something off your chest or to promote an agenda.

If the WPSA does fail(and at this point all anyone has is unsupported rumor), many teams and riders will find themselves several races behind if they choose to run the only available series that is left. This sets up a situation where the main supporters of the series will be left with yet another kick in the pants and may not be so willing to put their money into racing in the future, which I believe none of us would want.

smr
04-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree with you Pappy.

btw...you and cody gonna be at LLynns this weekend?

jcv400ex
04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I saw this coming last year. We had a "atva vs wpsa" discussion last year, and I knew this was only going to be a "fab series" like the XFL.

Everyone has a vision of something great, few will follow through with that vision and make it a reality.

Pappy
04-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by smr
I agree with you Pappy.

btw...you and cody gonna be at LLynns this weekend?

no we sure wont, cody broke his leg and is out for 8 weeks atleast, so harlen will be switching with me and cover LL and I will do the ATVA MX at Birch Creek...we will miss seeing everyone!!!

smr
04-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
no we sure wont, cody broke his leg and is out for 8 weeks atleast, so harlen will be switching with me and cover LL and I will do the ATVA MX at Birch Creek...we will miss seeing everyone!!!

dang that sucks. Tell him that Holden will miss racing with him this weekend, we will pray for a speedy recovery.

quad2xtreme
04-23-2008, 02:26 PM
I will see you now though Pappy. :D

Another angle to consider on the WPSA versus ATVA...does the ATVA operate more as a non-profit/member organization whereas the WPSA operates more like a private company ultimately driven for some level of profits? I am guessing the two organizations have different agendas. I am sure both have pluses and minuses but it is easier for a non-profit to sustain even in bad times. In the end, does the WPSA have sponsors who are looking for some sort of payback?

May sound strange but it sort of reminds me of how wrestling used to exist as hundreds of organizations across the US and employed thousands...then the WWE came along and developed a national level show and put the others out of commission. At first, it looked good for the wrestlers because they got big bucks...soon though there was only one game in town and they had to do what they were told because there weren't many options for going somewhere else. In the end, many fewer wrestlers who are all "owned" by the corporate engine. We definitely need an organization like the ATVA to keep all the smaller avenues open because I doubt the WPSA has any interest in amateur racing on a major scale.

ATVA has been a grass roots effort all along; however, it doesn't have high visibility. I think they have a different mission. I think WPSA hoped to bring more visibility to the sport which would help it grow while at the same time helping the interests of the sponsors.

Or maybe I am just crazy. It isn't like I've done a case study on the two organizations...again, just a thought. I definitely agree that both organizations could co-exist though.

/Jon

madskrillz2
04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Well the motocross series is no longer atva i believe. I'm pretty sure it's now AMA just like the bikes. It might still be affiliated with the ATVA but I know the AMA runs it now. Since this happened, I don't look at this series so bad anymore. Now it is under some good management.

quad2xtreme
04-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Well the motocross series is no longer atva i believe. I'm pretty sure it's now AMA just like the bikes. It might still be affiliated with the ATVA but I know the AMA runs it now. Since this happened, I don't look at this series so bad anymore. Now it is under some good management.

Yea, same thing from my point of view...AMA is equivalent of a non-profit/membership type organization. There mission is completely different from the WPSA and what the "investors" were hoping to accomplish. Again, my perspective is a guess from a 50,000 foot layman view. I am not pretending to know much about the subject. I am not someone to come on the site and claim to know the training regimen of every pro rider and thus declare who trains the hardest. lol.

cody anderson
04-24-2008, 07:47 AM
WPSA website has been updated...

smr
04-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by cody anderson
WPSA website has been updated...

you got a link?

Pappy
04-24-2008, 08:34 AM
http://wsaracing.com/

I did not see anything beyond the rescheduling of the first round

quad2xtreme
04-24-2008, 09:53 AM
same here...and it has been that way for about a week.

cody anderson
04-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Yesterday it still said TX was the first round. Now it says Taylorville?

Hey Pappy, did you ever get a copy of that ATVSport that had my Hondas in it where you did the moly coating on the calipers?

Pappy
04-24-2008, 10:17 AM
yep sure did!

jrspawn
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
From what im hearing its not looking to good right now......

Justin

jrspawn
04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Looks like the IL race is being cancelled also.... Not looking to good.

quadboy38
04-30-2008, 08:16 PM
from taylorvilles website

4-30-08 I just got off the phone with scott O’mally of the wpsa atv national and our fears of a cancellation of the series has been confirmed. Due to appearent expenses incurred during the first season, they cannot at this time continue. This does not mean we may not see a reorganized series in the future. I will miss the excitement of being apart of an ATV National and hope South Fork Dirt Riders can host an event for you in the future.

rollie
04-30-2008, 09:20 PM
wow:( , so what happens to all the pros contracted to run WPSA, or the people that put tonns of money towards the series,i always had a fear that it wouldnt last to long, but never thought it would go under so fast, so i guess the AMA is now going to host all the big racesm i bet turn outs will be huge now:cool:

infantry317
05-01-2008, 07:39 AM
It's not all bad, the level of competition at the Nationals and GNCC's has just gone up. :scary: Should be a good show for the fans!

stumpleg
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
I know it sucks for those people that want to run for points, and now being 3 rounds into the AMA. But I would care less with as high as gas is now. You are saving money by not going to all those rounds. Does the AMA have throwaways? Is so, use it to your advantage.

jrspawn
05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I just feel bad for everyone thats gonna loose their job over all this really. And also for anyone tht dumped money into the series(memberships, transponders, etc..) from what ive heard from others, doesnt sound like anyone can get ahold of anyone now at all to try to get their money back regardless of whats happening.

Justin

quad2xtreme
05-01-2008, 11:47 AM
This is not at all funny and is very serious for those who got roped into the WPSA believing it was the end all. I feel bad for them.

What is slightly humorous in all of this is reading posts from forum members a year ago about how the WPSA was changing the face of the sport and everyone was down on the ATVA and the racers who only raced this series...the comments were an insult to Joe Byrd, Lawson, Brown, and the others who stuck by with tried and true. They are looking like geniuses now...

Fred55
05-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I dont think anybody was EVER insulting Lawson or Brown, but Byrd on the other hand hahahahah

SRH
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
that sucks hopefully all the teams that planned running the wpsa switch over to ama, and hopefully the atva changes some of its ways, and maybe some better tv coverage, i think were better off with one series with all of the competition , teams and what not involved in that series

Johnny & Monica
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
POWERSPORTS ENTERTAINMENT, INC. SUSPENDS OPERATIONS AND CANCELS 2008 WPSA ATV RACING SCHEDULE
Minneapolis, MN, May 1, 2008. PowerSports Entertainment, Inc. announced today that it is has suspended corporate operations and as a result the WPSA 2008 PowerSports ATV Tour race schedule is now canceled.

PDF: view pdf version
"All of us here at the WPSA regret that we have no choice but to suspend operations and cancel the ATV tour at this time," said Rick Murphy, CEO of PowerSports Entertainment Inc. "We have been working diligently for many months to fundamentally improve our business model and acquire financing that would allow us to move forward, but we were not able to consummate the contemplated transactions and we foresee no significant increases in sponsorship or event revenue that would gap the projected deficits" added Murphy.

"While the company is considering a variety of options, none of these options would happen quickly enough to justify running the WPSA Championship ATV Tour according to our established standards and we believe that it is best to cancel the 2008 ATV season rather than attempt a watered down version," said Scott O'Malley, President of PEI. Adding, "We are attempting to find remedies that would allow us to resume operations, but at this time we have no firm solutions. Hopefully we will be successful in our endeavors."

"On behalf of Rick, Scott, Tes, myself, the WPSA staff, our volunteers and everyone else who worked their tails off to make the last two seasons happen, we offer our heartfelt thank you to the sponsors, our TV production company, the track owners & their local crews, the team owners, and all of our racers, parents and families who supported us so strongly," said Kent Lungstrom, EVP of PEI. "It deeply saddens all of us that we are not in a position to continue at this time and we regret that we have to shutter such a great series after much too short a run."

PEI may issue public announcements from time to time in the future as conditions warrant.

quad2xtreme
05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
I dont think anybody was EVER insulting Lawson or Brown, but Byrd on the other hand hahahahah

Go back and read last year's threads. People were saying Byrd was only winning because he had no competition!!! Many had to point out that Lawson and Brown weren't slouches. Of course, he went against everyone last weekend and did quite well...granted Natalie isn't in top form right now. Personally, I think it is looking down at the yellow plastic that is throwing off his balance. ;)

Warnerade
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
This is not at all funny and is very serious for those who got roped into the WPSA believing it was the end all. I feel bad for them.

What is slightly humorous in all of this is reading posts from forum members a year ago about how the WPSA was changing the face of the sport and everyone was down on the ATVA and the racers who only raced this series...the comments were an insult to Joe Byrd, Lawson, Brown, and the others who stuck by with tried and true. They are looking like geniuses now... I dont see hte logic in that at all. How are they looking like geniuses? The pros that went to the WPSA last year that made some money....made some good money, they all got good tv coverage. This year they almost all went back to the AMA, so they are already one step ahead....

K-Dub
05-01-2008, 04:24 PM
The thing that sucks to me is no more Quad Terrain Challenge! The QTC class and I couldnt believe it had became just as important as the MX portion of the show. When it first aired I thought great a 1/2 an hour to fast forward through, but then it became the part I wouldnt miss.

quad2xtreme
05-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
I dont see hte logic in that at all. How are they looking like geniuses? The pros that went to the WPSA last year that made some money....made some good money, they all got good tv coverage. This year they almost all went back to the AMA, so they are already one step ahead....

the humor is in the forum members who think they understand everything and wrote off the AMA/ATVA series like it was going to die off due to the WPSA

tw1976
05-01-2008, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quad2xtreme
[B]

What is slightly humorous in all of this is reading posts from forum members a year ago about how the WPSA was changing the face of the sport /QUOTE]

Even though the WPSA is no more they without a doubt changed the face of this sport. When they began in 06 there was two true factory riders and one factory rig. Look at the pits today. Alot has changed in two years and alot of it you can thank the WPSA and ESPN coverage for. I'm sure there would have been growth without them, but they fueled the majority of it in my opinion. I'm just happy to see all the pros back in one series and the best of the best racing each other again.

jb500ex
05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by tw1976
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quad2xtreme
[B]

What is slightly humorous in all of this is reading posts from forum members a year ago about how the WPSA was changing the face of the sport /QUOTE]

Even though the WPSA is no more they without a doubt changed the face of this sport. When they began in 06 there was two true factory riders and one factory rig. Look at the pits today. Alot has changed in two years and alot of it you can thank the WPSA and ESPN coverage for. I'm sure there would have been growth without them, but they fueled the majority of it in my opinion. I'm just happy to see all the pros back in one series and the best of the best racing each other again.
. you do realize before the wpsa started the only 450's were honda, yamaha and suzuki. that explains why the pits didnt look like they look now

quad2xtreme
05-01-2008, 08:00 PM
nor did the Wii exist before the WPSA either.

300ex_#387
05-01-2008, 09:44 PM
nor did the Wii exist before the WPSA either.

I bowled a 300 on the Wii today.....I was so proud!!!

quad2xtreme
05-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
I bowled a 300 on the Wii today.....I was so proud!!!

You serious? A friend of mine has a best of around 279. He can't understand why nobody wants to bowl when we have Wii parties. :p I should fly you in to kick his arse. :devil:

infantry317
05-02-2008, 07:01 AM
It sounds like there is going to be some QTC events this summer. And some of the WPSA QTC teams are going to the GNCC's. Hope the potbellies are ready...:devil:

Pappy
05-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by infantry317
Hope the potbellies are ready...:devil:

:chinese:

300ex_#387
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
You serious? A friend of mine has a best of around 279. He can't understand why nobody wants to bowl when we have Wii parties. :p I should fly you in to kick his arse. :devil:

Ha ha yeah I couldn't believe it. The best I bowled before that was a 263. Me and my dad had a $5 bet going for the first one to get it.....He was shocked lol

hasbeenttduner
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
And some of the WPSA QTC teams are going to the GNCC's.

Cool.