View Full Version : Fuel Petcock Assembly

Grizzly_A
04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Forgive me, I did a couple of searches and could not find a good answer.

1. Has anyone disassembled a newer petcock to determine which way "on" and "res" are?

The plastic shows "on" being down and "res" being up, but the petcock shows the exact opposite?

Just wondering if anyone has taken one apart to determine which one was which? On the Yamaha I worked on it was easy as the "res" was the shorter of the 2 hoses on the petcock assembly. :)

Do I follow the plastic or follow the petcock fuel selector?

I don't really want to be 5 miles from camp and find out the hard way that I was backwards. :-\

04-21-2008, 11:33 PM
On is down, buddy.

99_Fourtrax
04-22-2008, 03:44 AM
LOL. I just went through this with a '99. I wasn't shutting the gas off when I thought I was. My petcock markings and my plastic markins don't line up either. Go figure. I had mine off for cleaning and you can blow air through it and tell where "res" and "on" are. I don't know if the newer ones are different but if you have it apart,blow though it. Reserve will draw from the bottom of the tank. The markings on my petcock were right, my platics wrong. Strange

One more thing, on mine it's a square shaft and the knob can be put on 4 ways, but on the petcock counter-clockwise is ON, center is OFF, and fully clockwise is RESERVE. Hope this helps.

Grizzly_A
04-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks, that's helpful.

So is it backwards or is it just me? :)

coryatver
04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Grizzly_A
Thanks, that's helpful.

So is it backwards or is it just me? :)

The plastic nob references to what is printed on the plastic side cover not what is stamped in the petcock.

99_Fourtrax
04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I'll have to recheck my plastic but I think mine shows fuel on the left and reserve on the right. Straight up is off. If that's the case, mine works as plastics show now. It wasn't right when I bought it.