PDA

View Full Version : Valve really loose

Grizzly_A
04-21-2008, 08:19 PM
How "off" are most valves when you have to adjust them?

I just checked mine after the break-in period, and the intake valves were within .001 of spec and one exhaust were the same. The Exhaust valve on the throttle side was way off. Is this normal? It was way off, like over .5" I'm concerned cause it was a real pain to adjust as the screw kept slipping when it was being tightened.

Will being that far off now be cause for concern later??

imc188222
04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Are you sure you didn't turn the engine backwards at all?

Grizzly_A
04-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I followed the directions in the Articles section.
"With the transmission in neutral slowly rotate the motor counter-clockwise. "

Followed by:
"Never rotate the crankshaft clockwise, if you go past the mark, continue rotating it until the mark comes up again."

Those words were etched on my brain while performing the work.

GPracer2500
04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Over 1/2" off? That valve is the one activated by the auto-decompresser/anti-kickback mechanism. Somehow it must have been activated when you were adjusting. That's the only plausible explanation I can think of for a valve being 1/2" out of spec. I'd check it again.

Grizzly_A
04-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Will do.

imc188222
04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I had the same thing happen to me once, it was a while ago so I don't remember everything about it. I know I kept doing it over and over and still came up with the same results. I finally ended up adjusting the other valves at TDC and the turning the engine over more and adjusting that exhaust valve at a point in the revolution where I could see that the rocker was not on the cam lobe. I checked the valve clearance at a later date and they were all fine so I'm not really sure what was going on in the first place.