PDA

View Full Version : most durable axle on the market?

mineralgrey01gt
04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
What is the most durable axle on the market for a 250r? My lonestar axle is bent and will need replacing shortly and im wondering which brand axle to pick up?

pimpt250r
04-21-2008, 05:31 PM
RPM

Rich250RRacer
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by pimpt250r
RPM

X2, the best on the market. Stay away from that DuraBlue crap.

mineralgrey01gt
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
they are pricey but they do come with hubs and such. Also can you use a LSR anti-fade on a RPM axle?

beak7707
04-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Agreed RPM all the way.

tg413
04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
What everyone else said but just in case you didn't see it.........RPM

Dave83
04-21-2008, 06:48 PM
RPM and yes,the lonestar stuff works on them as well as any stock parts(hubs)

pdxbigfoot
04-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree with RPM being the best and they are a sexy axle to boot....BUT...If you have LSR hubs they wont fit on a RPM axle. I talked to both companies and according to LSR they do fit ( as i stand there with 2 sets of their hubs and none of them fit). RPM on the other hand were surprised and thought that LSR gets a "little lazy" with their spline machining and imidiatley told me to send them my hubs and offered to make them fit by remachining the splines. That was a week ago and im calling them (RPM) in the morning. After talking to them on the phone i will never buy a axle thats not a RPM as they were all over helping my situation and seemed really concerned that there was a problem.....i will keep you all posted....Jason

danhung11
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
RPM Axles have a serial # etched into the axle where the carrier houses it. If you contact RPM, they will tell you when it was made, what it was made for, and who originally bought it.

Also, they can straighten axles. If you were too buy a new RPM, make sure you fill out the warranty card and send back to them...

Like Jason said, their customer service is top notch! ;)

mineralgrey01gt
04-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Im definitely going to go with a RPM axle. Which one to get though? The standard dominator axle, or the dominator II? I looked on their site but didnt see the dominator II for the 250r.

04-22-2008, 12:42 AM
get durablue you can brake it 1000 times an they will send you a new one everytime an not give you any problems they are a grate company

Nac's22
04-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
Im definitely going to go with a RPM axle. Which one to get though? The standard dominator axle, or the dominator II? I looked on their site but didnt see the dominator II for the 250r.

I'm pretty sure they don't have the dominator II for a 250r. I agree with them though RPM is the best axle I have ever owned... haven't bent it in a year of hard mx riding and bent my durablue in the first week. Everything is great about them.

Nac's22
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
looks like i was wrong i found their ebay store and they have dominator II for 250rs

tg413
04-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 450killer265R
get durablue you can brake it 1000 times an they will send you a new one everytime an not give you any problems they are a grate company
I'm thinking this is the problem he's trying to avoid.....Btw if you buy a dominator New, fill out the card and send it back, if you have any problems RPM will take care of it....I've not had to send mine back but i have heard good feedback about the customer service........BTW i am not brand loyal, i just know which one is the best ........

mineralgrey01gt
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM

I never did like durablue axles. Im sticking with going with a RPM axle. Whats the difference between the original dominator and the dominator II? I found the dominator II on ebay also, so im kinda torn between which one to get.

troybilt
04-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I just bought a lonestar axle. What's wrong with them?

mineralgrey01gt
04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
I just bought a lonestar axle. What's wrong with them?

nothing really. Mine is kinda old (bought it used). It did very well for a long time until the last time I went riding and was drag racing and where the track is to drag race on the far right side of it there is a berm that I forgot about and I tried to clear it and my left side rear tire caught the side of it and slightly tweaked it. It is only really noticeable on asphalt that it is bent so I wanted to go ahead and get a new axle and keep this one for a back up and possibly straighten it out if possible.

wilkin250r
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Did they change their policy?!?

Last I knew, Durablue's lifetime warrenty policy was for one axle only. You break it, they replace it, no problem. You break it a second time, they charge you.

This information is several years old, maybe they've changed since then....

tg413
04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
. Whats the difference between the original dominator and the dominator II? I found the dominator II on ebay also, so im kinda torn between which one to get. I have the original dominator, i couldn't tell you what the difference is, maybe a little weight savings or something??

04-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by tg413
I'm thinking this is the problem he's trying to avoid.....Btw if you buy a dominator New, fill out the card and send it back, if you have any problems RPM will take care of it....I've not had to send mine back but i have heard good feedback about the customer service........BTW i am not brand loyal, i just know which one is the best ........

iv snaped shocks before i brake my axel lol

ameier5051
04-23-2008, 08:27 PM
I am questioning what axle to get also. I like durablue's long time appearance quality. I am leaning away from Lonestar simply because I see a lot of them selling on eBay all rusted and crappy looking.

Rich250RRacer
04-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by ameier5051
I am questioning what axle to get also. I like durablue's long time appearance quality. I am leaning away from Lonestar simply because I see a lot of them selling on eBay all rusted and crappy looking.

The first aftermarket axle I bought was a Durablue. It it looked really nice, with bright shiny chrome. It was in the quad six months and it was starting to get sloppy where the bearings ride. When I took it apart there was a nice groove where the bearings contact the axle. The bearings were still good, they turned freely. The chrome was also starting to peel and look shabby. It seems Durablue uses "show" chrome on their axles, this is basically the same stuff used on car bumpers and appliances. It is not meant for a surface that would subject to wear. RPM (and hopefully Lonestar) uses hard chrome. This is the same coating used on hydraulic cylinders, shock shafts, and fork tubes. It is meant to be used on a surface that is subject to wear. Durablue told me this was considered normal wear and was not covered, I proceeded to tell the man on the phone where I would like to stick that axle.