PDA

View Full Version : 450R Brake Calipers

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-20-2008, 09:43 PM
I have seen people put the dual piston rear brake caliper on there 400ex's. I was thinking about doing this because they stop like a dime and I use brake pads a lot. My question is do these mount right up or do you need to mess with them to get them to fit?

Wheelie
04-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm in the process of rounding up the parts for the 450R brake swap myself.

You will need:

450R Calipers
04-05 450R Spindles (better geometry than 06up)
04-05 450R Hubs

The rotors are the same between the EX and R. I'm going to use the R master cylinder, but I believe the EX master cylinder will work. The R cylinder I believe has more volume and an adjustable brake lever.

BigBore24
04-21-2008, 06:23 PM
hey wheelie, i have the 450r brakes on the front of mine and i re-used the ex hubs. i just needed the r calipers and spindle. do you think this could be a problem? everything mounted up perfectly. the hub turns freely and no excess play. but as for the rears i dont know (to answer your question legacygiant) my rears work so well i dont wanna mess with them

Wheelie
04-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the correction, I was posting up information that I had read. I don't have my setup mounted up yet.

You just saved me some cash--thanks. All I need to finish my conversion is the front left spindle rather than the spindle and hubs.

burnthesnikle
04-21-2008, 06:47 PM
i used 250r rear brake set up...works awsome

CSR400EX
04-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
I have seen people put the dual piston rear brake caliper on there 400ex's. I was thinking about doing this because they stop like a dime and I use brake pads a lot. My question is do these mount right up or do you need to mess with them to get them to fit?
the dual piston rear you seen probably came off a 250R, 450's have a single piston rear caliper, and if you don't believe me look it up here (http://www.yamahaoftroy.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=2006&fveh=12051) the fronts are dual piston calipers, but not the rear

Rootar
04-22-2008, 05:36 AM
for the 450r rear brake convo youll need the the 450r brake hub, rotor, brake plate, and of course the cailiper you might needs a spacer for the axle nut i dont remember i never did the rear convo but the front conversion works great on mine, youll also need longer tierods with the front conversion which i didnt see anyone post about but if you just adjusted the stock out far enough to compensate for the 450r spindles then youll be in big big surprise when one of your tierods gives way while your riding because they would be at the VERY end of their threads. and ad for using the 400ex hubs on the 450rs spindles thats a negative, they dont match up and are the worng offset to where the rotors bolt up, if your gonna do it do it right.

BigBore24
04-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Thanks for the correction, I was posting up information that I had read. I don't have my setup mounted up yet.

You just saved me some cash--thanks. All I need to finish my conversion is the front left spindle rather than the spindle and hubs.

yeah no problem. i read some info that said i needed the hubs, rotors, tie rods, spindles, calipers and all. so i was gonna ditch the idea, but since i had the calipers and spindles i decided to give it a shot and everything worked perfect. the spindles put me a tad wider in the front too:D