View Full Version : Extremely hard to kick HELP!!!

supersick300ex
04-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Today my brother in law, his brother, and I installed a JE 12.5:1 piston, hot cams stage 1 and pwr radiator, And we fired it up for 5 mins and it kicked fine then shut it off let it cool then fired it again kicked great, and it sounded great nothing slapping, then once again went to go kick it and it is so hard and almost seems seized, and you gotta keep jumping on it and finally itll go and itll fire up, we pulled the plug and it still was really hard to move, and ended up fianlly getting one kick, drove it for 5 min breaking in the piston and cam, shut it off went back later kicked fine, drove it back and once again now very hard to kick please help me, we also took the oil plug off the clutch side and it hisses and has pressure this shouldnt be normal right?

the Z Man
04-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Make sure you didn't put the case breather tube on the carb, it looks like it goes there but it actually goes on the tank guard.

supersick300ex
04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Iam pretty sure I have the hoses ran right but Ill look at a diagram and go check them, the 3 people I had help the rebuild are mechanics and engine builders and they told me that the timing should be right on seeing how when you can finally get a kick that goe's threw it fires up really easily and it runs and idle's so nicley, another thing is they thought there was no manual way to set the decomp and it was all automatic is that true? Iam guessing that might me a sort of problem, but even with the plug out it was still hard? I guess Iam kinda panicing cuz I have a race this weekend and I hav'nt been able to run my quad for 2 weeks

supersick300ex
04-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Anyone with anymore ideas about this

the Z Man
04-21-2008, 09:13 AM
I did have a problem with the kicker gear its self, when I tightened the side cover it would not move hardley at all, I actually had to grind part of the spacer on the kicker shaft.
I did although have the side cover repaired from a kick back crack.
Try loosening the cluch cover around the kicker and see if that helps.
Just a thought.

04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
You have the compression releif too tight.

supersick300ex
04-21-2008, 04:39 PM
ok Iam just wondering if my clutch would have anything to do with this seeing how when I remove the oil plug on that side it hisses and has lots of pressure behind it

the Z Man
04-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by the Z Man
Make sure you didn't put the case breather tube on the carb, it looks like it goes there but it actually goes on the tank guard.

04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by supersick300ex
ok Iam just wondering if my clutch would have anything to do with this seeing how when I remove the oil plug on that side it hisses and has lots of pressure behind it

Pressure build up is normal. Also check what z-man said, if you haven't already.

supersick300ex
04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Ok so I checked and there was a kinked vent hose, I also talked to my brother in law and he said he didnt realize you could adjust the compression he thought it was auto adjust, so I got it all striped down so he can help me adjust it tomarrow I will let you guys know if theres any other problems thanks alot for the help!!

supersick300ex
04-22-2008, 09:20 PM
so took my valve cover off and realized the spring on the decomp was'nt on right fixed it and now it works like a charm!!!! thanks again guys!