PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing - Do you have to destroy it to take it out?

Iliketogofast
04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I plan on doing pics of this teardown and rebuild soon, but before I get the pics up I want to have it halfway done so that it won't be so long between updates. I'm doing everything, the motor is completely fresh top and bottom, and the frame, shocks and other parts are getting PC'ed or polished or cleaned.

So anyways on to my question.

So far every bearing I've come across needs to be destroyed to be taken out. Is this true for the front wheel bearings as well?

I'd like to have the hubs PC'ed but if they're going to be a pain in the *** I'd rather not. They aren't crappy, I'd just rather have them matching the frame color.

TheNewn
04-20-2008, 11:24 PM
How are you going about it? Ifi remember how the 400EX/R's look, You should be able to put a socket through the hub and have it press up against the inner race of one of the bearings and use a press to push on the socket and push the bearing out of the hub. If that makes sense...

Iliketogofast
04-21-2008, 08:11 AM
And I will be able to reuse it?

The main thing is, I'm running low on my funds and I want to make sure I get everything done on time. If I have to replace a wheel bearing I won't be able to afford something else. :(

Poor man's build. :cool:

TheNewn
04-21-2008, 08:32 AM
If funds are tight, i suggest skipping the powder coating on the hubs and just cleaning them up :ermm:

Will save you the money and wont take the chance at ruining your bearings. You can always do the hubs later pretty quick like.

Iliketogofast
04-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Good idea Newn. After I get everything done I'll do the hubs.

I'll probably just get some aftermarket ones.