PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it! LOL

Hondamaster5505
04-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Well, if some of you remember, I used to complain that I couldn't jump my 400ex because of a bucking problem. The last time I attempted it bucked and my chest smacked the handlebars:eek:

Well, today I was at my dads shop, so I can service my exhaust. By his shop, theres a dike and a little pit to the left, with hills all around it because its lower.

Theres some jumps on the one side, and something in me just said F it and I hit it in second.

I sttod and leaned back, and it jumped perfectly! So I tried 3rd gear and flew even further.

So I guess you can say im very happy that I don't have to buy a linkage now, lol.

trx400EXtreme
04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
you can slow down the rebound on your rear shock and it will jump even better. i'd amagine that the jumps you were trying to hit beofre were just really bad kickers, or you werent hitting the gas on take off.

Hondamaster5505
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
you can slow down the rebound on your rear shock and it will jump even better. i'd amagine that the jumps you were trying to hit beofre were just really bad kickers, or you werent hitting the gas on take off.

I actually did lower the rebound before jumping, but I was still worried because numerous people said its the linkage, not the shock.

I think I was also hitting the jumps wrong. Whereas all the yamahas ive had just glided over with or without throttle, the 400ex takes a little finess. I stand up and lean back a little, and gas it at the very top and it seems to work well for me.

Ruby Soho
04-20-2008, 07:27 PM
my EX jumps great haha

416exfreak
04-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I dont see why your stock linkage would affect your 400, any different than the stock linkage on EVERY other 400ex in the world...

It was your shock, and everyone who told you otherwise was a moron.

Hondamaster5505
04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
I dont see why your stock linkage would affect your 400, any different than the stock linkage on EVERY other 400ex in the world...

It was your shock, and everyone who told you otherwise was a moron.

It was because I started a thread a long time ago about it. I guess the settings were a little messed up for jumping, so I didn't know that at the time.

Everyone kept insisting I buy a new linkage, saying thats the only way to solve it. I was actually about to.

Then i looked a my shock, and adjusted it a little bit and she's fine!:D

hondarider101
04-21-2008, 04:54 PM
whats the point of this? lol

klutch
04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by hondarider101
whats the point of this? lol

Accomplishment? :macho

Hondamaster5505
04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by klutch
Accomplishment? :macho

lol, yeah, pretty much.

I was just glad I can finally jump her. I love being in the air.

Im as happy as Michael Jackson in a daycare:eek:

hungus07trx400
04-21-2008, 06:23 PM
My rear used to buck around alot too, this past weekend I backed the preload off a bit and messed around with the compression and rebound and its a TON better.

Hondamaster5505
04-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by hungus07trx400
My rear used to buck around alot too, this past weekend I backed the preload off a bit and messed around with the compression and rebound and its a TON better.

I didn't adjust anything except rebound. I think a half turn to the left past the middle.

Wheres the compression adjustment on the shock? Its good where it is, but for future reference id like to know. I couldnt see it anywhere?

hungus07trx400
04-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Theres adjustment screws at the top of the shock and one at the bottom, you can see it on the left side of the bike under the swingarm, both have S<->H (soft and hard). I can't remember which is which right now, I was at a track with a screwdriver and my owners manual out, hunched over on my knees. I looked like a *real Pro lol.

Rootar
04-22-2008, 05:49 AM
stock linkage and shock has nothing to do with it the 400ex jumps great stock, its all how you were hitting the jump....

here is stock rear shock, stock swinger, stock linkage, and blown front works shocks....