PDA

View Full Version : Dual spport/On off/ Street legal dirtbikes. What ever You want to call them

Nick110
04-20-2008, 06:59 PM
So Ive been thinking about this lately and I want to get a Dualsport bike. My buddy just got a 08 drz400 supermoto and it is a ton on of fun to ride plus the 50 mpg is nice. I am staying away from a motorcycle because I think that this would be a lot more fun and I want to sharpen my 2 wheel skills before I get a sportbike.

But for you guys that might know... Do they make kits to turn say a crf, kxf, rmz, etc. 450 into a street legal bike? Or would I have to get the drx, crf450x, etc model bike?

Also if you have a dual sport post it up!!!

my88r
04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
[B

But for you guys that might know... Do they make kits to turn say a crf, kxf, rmz, etc. 450 into a street legal bike? Or would I have to get the drx, crf450x, etc model bike?

[/B]

baja designs does:macho

https://www.bajadesigns.com/net/mainframe2.aspx?login=YES&category=MCYCLE

pro-rider46
04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
i would get the 450x, same as the 450r quad

416exfreak
04-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46

Depending on the stories youve heard....that isnt saying to much for that bike. Not from the horror stories ive heard, and my own personal experiences with 450r's.:chinese:

Nick110
04-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46

I would get that but Im not buying new and I cant find any forsale around here. Im looking to get like a 02-04 crf 450 and then buying everything to convert it. I figure another grand in parts to get it converted. I can get a crf for around 2100-2500 so about 3500 for a dualsport bike is what Im looking at.

trx400EXtreme
04-20-2008, 07:47 PM
dualsports haul *****. my dads buddy has a DRZ and it is scary fast.

GPracer2500
04-20-2008, 07:55 PM
The state you live in dictates what's involved in getting a dirt bike plated. In some states it's easy, in others it's next to impossible. There are many issues. It's not just about the equipment already there or added by you (lights and whatnot). In some states a dirt bike's MSO or title will say something like "Not For Highway Use" or "Off-Road Motorcycle". Those types of labels can be a show stopper at the DMV office. Or not--again, it all depends on the state. And it can even depend on the particular DMV office you go to and the particular clerk you get at the counter. In some states you use to be able to convert and now you can't (like CA before and after 2004). So just cause you see a plated dirtbike hauling around your town doesn't mean you're in the clear to do it yourself.

I don't specifically know about NY but my guess (based on the prevailing politics in NY) is that it will be hard or impossible without lots of work and side-stepping. To be sure, you need to reach out to your local dualsporting community. The regional forums on Thumpertalk might be a place to start.

That aside.....dualsports are great! And you're smart to transition into a sportbike rather than jumping in head first. Dualsport experience will make you a better sportbike rider ("better" could mean safer or faster or both depending on your tendencies). Plus, dualsports are a blast in and of themselves.

I've got a plated '02 XR650R that I'll use for everything from dunes....
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/XR650R/P2240008Medium.jpg

...to rock strewn desert canyons...
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/XR650R/IMG_2159croppedMedium.jpg

...to wider open desert...
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/XR650R/PC100004Medium.jpg

...to dualsporting...
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/XR650R/P1010002Medium.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/XR650R/4-9-06roadtrip014_thumb2Medium.jpg

...to pure street...
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/XR650R/P1290093Medium.jpg

A horn is really the only thing I'm missing to be completely legal in my state.

I've also got a plated '00 CR500R. It's got the plate, a passed emissions test, and insurance but is otherwise FAR from legal. The only street item I've added is the plate itself--no lights, no nothing. I only plated it for added legality when on certain dirt roads and for the quick jaunt on the streets near my home. It's a wild, vibrating beast and doesn't make a very good street ride for anything but a quick thrill.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/P9180145Large.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/P9180146Large.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/P9180140Large.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/P9180142Large.jpg

Nick110
04-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Aight, I know it will be hard to get it street legal because NY is just like that. But I do have some connections that might help or might now.

I saw around 4 dualsports the other day driving around, so who knows. But I guess Ill try and find someone who has done it in my state and pick their brain.

GPracer2500
04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
....I guess Ill try and find someone who has done it in my state and pick their brain.

Now you're getting somewhere. :)

Nick110
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Now you're getting somewhere. :)

Ya man thanks for pointing me in the right direction..

Are you Hawk GT on thumper talk?

GPracer2500
04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Ya man thanks for pointing me in the right direction..

Are you Hawk GT on thumper talk?

Yes, I am. That's the one site where I have a different screen name.

Nick110
04-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Yes, I am. That's the one site where I have a different screen name.

Ok.. Looks like if I buy a bike here thats not street legal and switch everything to make it street legal, I would have to go through Vermont to get it registered and the VIN changed to Highway use. and then show that to the NY DMV and get it registered in NY.

or

I can buy an already registered as Highway use bike from another state and get that registered in NY.

Either way its going to be a hassel. But Im ready. haha.

bwamos
04-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I've always wanted a nice Motard bike to ride.

smr
04-21-2008, 08:45 AM
I got a DRZ400S. Dual sport riding is great. Poeple don't realize how much riding there is if you have a plated bike. You can go almost anywhere in the national forest.

Dual sports have come a long way, the newer ones are well equipt to handle just about any situation. What I'm saying is I really don't see a need to convert a dirt bike.

Nick110
04-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by smr
I got a DRZ400S. Dual sport riding is great. Poeple don't realize how much riding there is if you have a plated bike. You can go almost anywhere in the national forest.

Dual sports have come a long way, the newer ones are well equipt to handle just about any situation. What I'm saying is I really don't see a need to convert a dirt bike.

The reason for me is because it would be cheaper. I can actually get a used rmz450 for free, but then I have to buy all the lighting and etc. and then get it plated in Vermont and then switch it over here. So now Im mainly looking at the DRZ400s or supermoto or trying to find another one in a diff state thats already plated.

Snowskidr
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
getting a mx bike and converting it isnt always cheaper. i have a 01 yzf426 that i was going to convert until i found out it would be about 3k for the wheel kit, light kit and stator. if you are going to go that route i would get one of the bigger ktm dirtbikes because they already have an electric start and you can buy a motard/dual sport kit directly from ktm very cheap. the reason i say to get a bigger bike (more cc's) is because the drz's and most 450's can't handle a whole lot of highway running. i know most people don't buy them for highway riding but it all depends on where you live and work. if you are like me and live an hour and a half from work and it's all highway i would need a bigger bike that didn't wind up so fast. dual sports / motards are very fun and i see one in my near future.

Nick110
04-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Snowskidr
getting a mx bike and converting it isnt always cheaper. i have a 01 yzf426 that i was going to convert until i found out it would be about 3k for the wheel kit, light kit and stator. if you are going to go that route i would get one of the bigger ktm dirtbikes because they already have an electric start and you can buy a motard/dual sport kit directly from ktm very cheap. the reason i say to get a bigger bike (more cc's) is because the drz's and most 450's can't handle a whole lot of highway running. i know most people don't buy them for highway riding but it all depends on where you live and work. if you are like me and live an hour and a half from work and it's all highway i would need a bigger bike that didn't wind up so fast. dual sports / motards are very fun and i see one in my near future.

I see what your saying but I could possibly get the bike for free thats why it would be cheaper for me.

Not a lot of highway riding for me, maybe 10mn from one town to the next but no more than that. Just country roads, city streets, and etc.

Snowskidr
04-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I see what your saying but I could possibly get the bike for free thats why it would be cheaper for me.

Not a lot of highway riding for me, maybe 10mn from one town to the next but no more than that. Just country roads, city streets, and etc.

i would just check with baja designs and a few other companies to make sure they make kits for this bike. if they do, GET IT! All of the mods are easy to do. if you get it, you have to promise to post pics of it!:cool:

fastredrider44
04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
bought an 04 KTM 525EXC on friday with full intentions of legalizing it. Shouldn't be too bad on this bike. I'll post some pics later.

RATPACK Z400
04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
The original name was ENDERO.in the 70s-80s.now they put street tires on them and call them dualsports but you would need to change tires to off-road so it not completly dual-sport like an Endero.

UNBROKEN
04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
i want to plate a wr450 that be my bike to pick but IMO dont buy a yzf, rmz, kxf extra no matter if its a 450 or not there set up for the track were high speed operation isnt going to be an issue the gearing in the tranny is way to short and not usable first is to high and 5th is way low which sucks when u can swicth in to 5th at 25 mph, wr450, drz400 would be good dual sportbikes

deathman53
04-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Snowskidr
if you are going to go that route i would get one of the bigger ktm dirtbikes because they already have an electric start and you can buy a motard/dual sport kit directly from ktm very cheap.

actaully, ktm sells a 450 and 530 street plated and everything to pass inspection. Of course you have to do some things to them to get the full power out of them. Husky sells them plated too, and real dirtbikes like the ktm's also. I got 2 dirtbikes past dmv in nj and I bought another already plated, I'm told its getting harder here, as dmv has a list of bikes they are allowed to register. If there is a question, they fax a copy of the title to trenton for vertification(ktm450exc fell into to this).

ny300exrider
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
go get yourself a used but modded drz400sm. take it from me...im the same age as you, live in the same state, and have pretty much the same riding background(came off a modded 450r)

i went with an 06 drz S as my first road legal bike in september with intentions of using it as a dual sport...riding it on road/commuting to college AND riding all trails and pits i did on my quad. i set the bike up with knobbies, handguards, all the good offroad stuff. after a week of riding off-road i completly gave up on it and was stuck with a dirt modded drz for 100% street use......the drz sucked offroad. way too heavy, unstable, not fun at all especially compared to quads.

i put 5,000 street miles on throughout the NY winter(anything above 40deg. i was out riding) and wished i went with an SM the whole time. anything other than backroads and around-town riding was not really fun at all..i'm sure an SM setup wouldve made it 10x better.

the drz is amazing for around town...tons of fun...honestly almost TOO MUCH fun though. you really have to fight the urge to loft the front wheel after every red light/stop sign/etc....just ask the cop i passed while riding a 3rd gear stand up:rolleyes: i know of at least 5 natural launches off hand that i would hit on my daily commute..entertaining to say the least haha.

fast forward a few months, i sold the drz since i didnt need a dirtbike for street only riding, got a cbr600f4i and havnt looked back.....HOWEVER, if i was you, i'd get a nice drz SM(pipe,3x3,filter,etc). you already have a freind to ride with, it will be great on insurance, extremly reliable, lots of fun for a first bike and will get you experience for something bigger in the future like what i did. expect to hear some dumb comments from kids about your "little dirtbike" and dont expect girls to flock to your SM like they do for all the guys with their sportbikes but dont worry about it....put a good amount of miles on the DRZ and then decide if you want to stick with the SM or move on to a sportbike

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3009/drz412ul5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5299/f4i026ux0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

2001-400ex'er
04-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I've recently been looking into the DRZ 400SM and they look like pretty nice bikes. 40 hp out of the box, and with an exhaust, 3x3, and carb or jetting they can be pretty quick bikes. Anything over 100 is pushing it because they don't have much wind protection and vibrate a lot. Either way, most people buy them to just mess around in town with, which they are perfect for. I've been tossing around the idea of trading my Buell for one just so I know I won't kill myself...

UNBROKEN
04-29-2008, 07:05 PM
with the price of gas i realy want to sell my quad and get a drz400 or any wr, xr 400 or bigger but the prices seem to be alittle out of my price range

ECATV Raptor
04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
I just bought a DRZ 400SM about a week ago. I haven't ridden it a whole lot because I am still struggling to get my permit(:mad: ) I'll throw up some pics tommorow.

ny300exrider
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 2001-400ex'er
. I've been tossing around the idea of trading my Buell for one just so I know I won't kill myself... im sure you didnt mean it this way but i just want to let you guys know...although a sm is half the HP of most road bikes, you can still get yourself killed on it just like any other bike....i hear alot of people say"oh im going to get a drz so i dont die" but it can happen....always stay geared up and ride like everyone on the road is out to kill you!

all this talk of SM's makes me want one bad so im gettin the hell outta this thread lol

2001-400ex'er
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Well what I meant was that most of my friends just bought 1000cc bikes and I have a feeling that its just gonna push me to ride in the triple digits a lot more, and I just figured that a supermoto bike would keep me from doing anything stupid on the highway. Im sure I would regret selling a 1200 to get a 400 but someday I think I would like to have one just to mess around on.

bwamos
04-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 2001-400ex'er
Well what I meant was that most of my friends just bought 1000cc bikes and I have a feeling that its just gonna push me to ride in the triple digits a lot more, and I just figured that a supermoto bike would keep me from doing anything stupid on the highway. Im sure I would regret selling a 1200 to get a 400 but someday I think I would like to have one just to mess around on.

Good call. ;)
You can jsut say, have fun I'll catch up.. and not be labeled a wuss. Just smart.. lol. ;)