PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons....

JRP
04-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Really looking at purchasing one. Will be racing MX with it nationally.... I hear mainly about the frames... Anyone have problems with it?

mebcop
04-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, I only have about 5 hours on my ds, but no problems yet. I think it will be great for MX'ing!!! It has TWO STROKE like power, and it is a blast when you have traction, but the sand really sux with the stock tires. I rode for about 3 hours in the sand today and I don't know if it's the tires, or the power delivery, or a combination of both, but it's just not fun in sand. I'm sure all quads would spin a lot in the sand I was riding in, it's just not a good demonstration of the power this quad has. It's a lot of fun in the trails through the woods, when you really ride it hard. If you want to lug it a lot then this is not the quad for you, at least in stock form. I'm sure with some mods you can make it however you want it, but that's the same with any quad.

Sorry for the long post, but to answer your question, yes, I can't wait to MX mine!!!

ds450
04-21-2008, 08:00 AM
I have 48 hours on mine and no major problems yet besides it needs aftermarket rear brake pads because they wear out really quick. I love the power of it and I put a rossier exhaust on it which I like but I need the power commander to tune it because it runs like **** with the pink wire cut. The pink wire cut is making it run way too rich so im just gonna hook it back up. But the bike handles and rides alot better than any other quad then I have rode.

Punk'd
04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by ds450
I have 48 hours on mine and no major problems yet besides it needs aftermarket rear brake pads because they wear out really quick. I love the power of it and I put a rossier exhaust on it which I like but I need the power commander to tune it because it runs like **** with the pink wire cut. The pink wire cut is making it run way too rich so im just gonna hook it back up. But the bike handles and rides alot better than any other quad then I have rode.

I have the exact same setup as you and it runs perfect. Do you run with your airbox lid on or off?

ds450
04-22-2008, 09:02 AM
With the lid off and I cut the air box and it still runs too rich. I connected the pink wire and my quad runs so much better. It pulls so much harder now.

IAXCracer
04-24-2008, 07:41 PM
I dont know if its just a first year model or if the DS is gonna be a lemon. But team LTE GNCC racing has had nothing but problems with the DS so far and they HAVE the riders to be successful if the quads will hold up. At the last race Duane Johnson, sturvient, bithel, and Jenks were all out from mechanical problem and just last sunday Duane at an Iowa series race the bike became low on anti freeze, over heated and had to back out of the race and he had that DS hammered. Is it just the kinks of a first year model or what is going on?

IAXCracer
04-27-2008, 09:29 PM
GNCC race today, Sturvants bike went into limp mode. Two other just inside the top 15, Duane Johnson 16. Why would you ever put a feature on a race quad that shuts the quad down when it get hot. Dumbest thing Ive ever heard. This Can't Am SUCKS

ScottB125
04-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Can Am needs to release a tuning program for it. Something that allows some REAL in-depth stuff...fuel and spark along with code deletions

ds450
04-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Can am dealers have a program called Buds or Budds that you can go in and delete the codes and look in the computer but you cant change timing or fuel map yet. Im hoping they make it to where they can. But with the power commander that is coming out you can change all the fuel mapping and make a custom map if you have the dynojet computer software. We have it at my work and I cant wait to get the power commander for mine. I heard if you know what you are doing you can change the timing too.

atvlover
05-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Motoworks is making an FMI which will allow you to change the fuel mapping. We are using it on our CAn AM race team now. You can change every aspect of the fuel. I do not believe that anyone has a controller for the ECU mapping. Can Am does not release the information for that.