PDA

View Full Version : Polaris 450MXR vs. Honda trx450r

07trx400ex
04-20-2008, 02:59 PM
What is the general impression of the Polaris out there.

They have impressive specs, like a 50.5" front and fox shocks, with the ktm power plant.

In contrast, they are on the heavy side.

How are they stacking up with you guys?

(I can get the Polaris for about $600 cheaper)

norton
04-20-2008, 07:43 PM
the only problem i have is they are made for mx and that is what they call em when they never really went into depth. Yes it has a great engine but just puttin it in there woodlands bike outlaw and puttin small track tires? Plus it has reverse.... not needed for the track. You cant say they dont spend thought and time in it, so whats the deal?

maddmatt02
04-20-2008, 08:28 PM
I thought this when i first saw it. the fox shock sounded nice, but if I remember right, the only adjustability on the shocks is preload, right?

Id get a honda. but of course I always say that... lol

latest dirtwheels compared all 7 450's, ill go back and see what they say, of course you cant always trust whats written in a mag.

07trx400ex
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Ok, thanks man.

That what my point was: It looks good on paper, but how does it perform in the flesh?

Benjithx
04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
I am a Honda guy, big time, but if it had to be something else it would be a KTM for sure. I think you will find that most 450 shootouts end with KTM out front. (that being with money not a factor of course)

maddmatt02
04-20-2008, 11:51 PM
I didnt read it again, but I think i remember that the 450mxr was a decent quad but wasnt worthy of a mx badge, and they complained about the lack of adjustability on the suspension. the KTM was of course out front. Im pretty sure the honda was made to sound better than the polaris, they were just congratulating polaris on a step in the right direction basically.

Jem450ER
04-21-2008, 07:03 AM
I do believe that the KTM and the Polaris KTM is a diff engine? I heard the KTM is way better the then the Polaris KTM. As far as polaris goes, i 'd get the honda for sure. Polaris isn't anywhere near the quality as a honda. As far as mags go, dirt wheels said in the last issue that the KTM is good but for the money they're starting to be less impressed with it, but thats a mag.

patrickj75
04-21-2008, 07:30 AM
this weekend i had the chance to see Brock Lyons and Cody Anderson (factory Polaris) race thier practice bikes at on of our local mx races. Brock's bike just had an FMF slip-on and carb mod while Cody's had the FMF 4.1 full system and carb mod. both pulled holeshots on fully built Hondas. I know one of those Hondas had a Rage motor. the KTM motors are a rocket even in stock form and the have the torque of a tractor. I've never seen a nearly stock motor do that over fully built ones.

RATPACK Z400
04-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Ktm and polaris are the same motor and the polaris is not 50in wide why would they build 50.5 if the limit is 50in, it just comes with 18in mx tires only.not bad and could be good quad with few mods it will need to prove itself on mx a season or two for anybody to switch to it.

patrickj75
04-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Ktm and polaris are the same motor and the polaris is not 50in wide why would they build 50.5 if the limit is 50in, it just comes with 18in mx tires only.not bad and could be good quad with few mods it will need to prove itself on mx a season or two for anybody to switch to it.

actually the motors aren't exactlly the same. i know the Polaris front sprocket is in a different location. i believe all the top end and the carb are the same.

atvrulz
04-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by patrickj75
this weekend i had the chance to see Brock Lyons and Cody Anderson (factory Polaris) race thier practice bikes at on of our local mx races. Brock's bike just had an FMF slip-on and carb mod while Cody's had the FMF 4.1 full system and carb mod. both pulled holeshots on fully built Hondas. I know one of those Hondas had a Rage motor. the KTM motors are a rocket even in stock form and the have the torque of a tractor. I've never seen a nearly stock motor do that over fully built ones.

Hey Patrick,
Not sure if we saw the same race yesterday at Little Falls, but the Honda rider with a 2004 honda with a high compression piston got the holeshot in the two first motos of the first round, over the two polaris riders. In the first moto of 450A of the second round, two honda riders were ahead of the two polaris riders for at least two laps. The polaris 450 though looks good.

patrickj75
04-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by atvrulz
Hey Patrick,
Not sure if we saw the same race yesterday at Little Falls, but the Honda rider with a 2004 honda with a high compression piston got the holeshot in the two first motos of the first round, over the two polaris riders. In the first moto of 450A of the second round, two honda riders were ahead of the two polaris riders for at least two laps. The polaris 450 though looks good.

hey Bob,
I should have clarified that better, their holeshots were in the 2nd motos. Goldberg had some good starts the 1st motos. he was riding really good all day. Plantz rode really good too.

How did you do? I completely forgot to look for you.

KingpinsEx
04-21-2008, 10:49 AM
As far as power goes watch any of the GNC Nationals, its consistently Honda's leading the holeshot. Granted there are not many riders running the Polaris and probably for good reason. They have an excellent powerplant, but the quality of the rest of their quads is just not up to par in my mind. The 450r has been proven for years to be able to handle the abuse of mx and has plenty of championships to prove it.

The polaris motor appears to be the same as the current woods KTM's but I believe when they release their 450 mx quad it is going to use a totally different DOHC engine, the one from their SX dirtbikes. Either way if you are racing mx you are going to have to swap out nearly all of the suspension components. I don't see the point of putting "better cheap shocks" and wider, but not wide enough, or long-travel a-arms. I like honda philosophy of keeping things cheap so you arent paying extra for parts that will be changed out anyways. I guess my point is either way you are not getting a race ready machine...so pick which one you feel the most comfortable on.

RATPACK Z400
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Its has a lot to do with riders reaction time off gate than the motor!has honda podiumed in the GNC pro class this year?All the 450s are built pretty close in hps and torque its just how the hold up to the punishment put on them and how long they last through the race.this years been hard on motors from all manufactors thats for sure!

07trx400ex
04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
The reason for the question, was because I have been in the market for a 450 for a while now, and I am considering every option.

After doing some research, I really like the kfx450r, but have not been able to find good deals on them.

So I narrowed it down to what I could get great deals on and came up with the Honda and Polaris.

They both have their pros/cons, but in the end for a rider like me(trails/limited track) I think the reliability of the Honda will take precedent over the hype of the Polaris but I still have to take the Polaris on a test ride before I make any decisions. I love the way it looks and its specs and the fact it was made in the US, but I will not put up with shotty quality.

patrickj75
04-21-2008, 11:45 AM
since you're talking about riding more trails than racing I would look towards the Polaris since it has electric start and reverse. you would maybe want to put on some taller tires though. I used to have a Honda and didn't like it for trails. mine was an 04 so maybe an electric start version would be better. the Honda does have good quality and reliability thats been proven. you'll get better shocks with the Polaris.

maticus
04-21-2008, 01:05 PM
i say get the polaris, if you like owls ( i think it looks like a barn owl if ya ask me). but i did see the 450 irs, or maybe it was a 525 i dont know but it looked like it rode pretty smooth, but getting a honda gets you like 15,000 cool points!

KingpinsEx
04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
If you are looking for a deal just find a used TRX that has been well maintained and not raced. They are going very cheap these days and leaves alot of money left over to modify it. There are plenty of them for sale on these forums under the used atv section.

07trx400ex
04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I always have an eye open, but I have gotten the dealer down so low, I would almost rather have the peace of mind of knowing that I maintained it.

Besides, who buys a 450 and never races it anyway?

04'400ex'er
04-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex
I always have an eye open, but I have gotten the dealer down so low, I would almost rather have the peace of mind of knowing that I maintained it.

Besides, who buys a 450 and never races it anyway? I:p

rollie
04-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Not so sure if i like those polaris bikes, this is my buddys bike, even though every bike has problems just dont think your avoiding the honda frame problems by going with a polaris!!, i will say though the owner of this bike can haul some *** and is a great rider.

good news is polaris is going to warrenty the frame, which is cool

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/xtremechaos389/Startofrebuild009.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/xtremechaos389/Startofrebuild008.jpg

:cool:

coryatver
04-21-2008, 07:17 PM
oh man. That is awesome they are doing the warranty! Doubt other brands would do that. Is that rust inside there or is it mud?

IOWAracer
04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Talk to Colby of C&D he raced a 450R last year in the IATVHSS this year he has the MXR450 he pulled off 2nd in A yesturday!

BB