PDA

View Full Version : Things to do when you get your new KTM

spataro87
04-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I suggest that you remove all of the plastic and start to go over the whole bike checking every bolt, nut, and screw. Lock tite everything you feel should be lock-tited. 80% of the my bike was loose. Pay particular attention to anything on the engine and the rear caliper, both the brake pad bolts and the mounting bolts. After you ride it for about two hours of break in riding not pounding the dirt bring it back in let it cool down and repeat the above. Check all of the wiring harness and you may want to add some extra electrical tape to some of the connecters for added protection. I have a KTM SuperDuke streetbike as well and this was recommended on that forum so I followed this when I got my 525 and sure enough it was loose as well. You would think such a race oriented company would know to lock down the important stuff!!

Marc

ktMan
04-20-2008, 11:19 AM
alot of that could be your dealer. the bikes come to them in a box and they assemble them and are suppose to check them over. did you get the super duke and the 525 at the same dealer, cause that could be why they were both loose. my 525 was fine nothing was loose on it, and i have never heard any problems like that before on here.

spataro87
04-20-2008, 12:39 PM
No two different dealers and I was advised by several different people who have had a great deal of experience with these quads to check it over. I believe most dealers are not going to take the time to check everything as well as lock-tite things that should be. I have spoke to lots of racers at the GNCC that have had the same experience, your dealer may have gone above what the average dealer is willing to do. Has anyone on here experienced the rear brake pad bolts falling out? That has been a common problem I have heard of at the track, and witnessed at South Carolina on a 525. Regardless it can not hurt to be through, especially if it means preventing mechanical failure or injury.

Marc

thump4863
04-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I also heard the shifter bolt being loose on a lot. I checked mine and yep it was really loose and I only had 15 min on it.

CHAR250R
04-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Any time I buy a new ATV/motorcycle, I retorque and regrease everything on the machine. The factories are stingy on the grease. It doesn't hurt to use some dielectric grease on the electrical connections either. It kills most normal people not to ride a brand new machine as soon as they get it. It pays off in the long run doing a little bit of preventitive maintenence.

XtremeSkier
04-21-2008, 08:34 AM
the KTM's that came into our dealership were fully assembled in the crate, if anything was loose it'd be from the factory...i'll definently be checking mine though, thanks for the tip

KTM RIDAA
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
yea everything on mine was either loose or way overtightened!! and my rear bearing carrier took like atlest 30 pumps of grease before it came out of the left side.. that is pretty bad. and on the rear bearing carrier has 1 seal on the left and 2 on the right.

powertechn2
07-09-2009, 12:18 AM
im a power equipment dealer, and its soo funny when stuff the manufacturer assembles comes loose and a customer comes in pissed off hollering that WE didnt assemble it right... lol

almost any machine is 95-99% fully assembled, maybe handlebars sometimes on sleds when i was an arctic cat dealer, and you would install the tracks on some of them... on quads i have seen, ya add oil and bleed the clutch and supposed to adjust everything.

it is warranty when stuff falls off, but its a pita to deal with. so whenever i get something new i already planned on getting busy with some loctite.

krt400ex
04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
when i bought my bike, the dealer took it in the back for three hours and went over every nut and bolt on it and made sure everything was perfect. i've rode it and washed it and checked, and thus far its alright

KTM RIDAA
04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
but to these the best mods would be honda throttle,Carb work,slip on,and atv fourplay bars.

Best mods that will wake these up for cheap and help you out with even better handling.

krt400ex
04-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by KTM RIDAA
yea everything on mine was either loose or way overtightened!! and my rear bearing carrier took like atlest 30 pumps of grease before it came out of the left side.. that is pretty bad. and on the rear bearing carrier has 1 seal on the left and 2 on the right.

i wasnt sure if i should grease it till it comes out or not. i pump 8 to 10 shots in it after every ride. never seen it come out the sides though

KTM RIDAA
04-30-2010, 07:27 PM
it does not matter man just pump her till the grease comes out a little it wont hurt it. the bearing carrier has tapperd bearings and they will last forever.

krt400ex
04-30-2010, 07:46 PM
thanks bro!

KTM RIDAA
04-30-2010, 07:56 PM
no problem