PDA

View Full Version : Cdi Box

REDRIDER312
04-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Looking to get a aftermarket cdi box....which ones are "BETTER "..I just want to get some ideas....

zrpilot
04-20-2008, 08:44 AM
GT Thunder or TC racing are the only two I would recommend.

REPOMAN
04-20-2008, 09:23 AM
i have amr racing. you arent going to get good insight on this. people are going to say theres is the best and chabces are havent tried any others. most do the same things so just read up on them and go with what sounds best to you

zrpilot
04-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
i have amr racing. you arent going to get good insight on this. people are going to say theres is the best and chabces are havent tried any others. most do the same things so just read up on them and go with what sounds best to you

I agree, there is a lot of opinions about CDIs. Some negative, some positive. If I had to do it again, I think I would still buy a CDI for (2) reasons.

1) It eliminated the reverse, non-start annoyance with my 2005 400EX.
2) after I upgraded my motor to the 416, I would hit the rev limiter VERY easy. The extra 1000 RPM comes in handy sometimes!

I have the GT Thunder CDI box and it has no starting issues. Also I did NOT see any real power gains. I did a dyno run with and without the CDI and saw no appreciable difference.

04-20-2008, 10:19 AM
What about Curtis Sparks? Curtis Sparks always makes great things. Their CDI just gives you an extra 1000RPM. Also heres something I dont understand. Some aftermarket CDI boxes advance the timing. Well if they advance the timing then why would the Curtis Sparks advanced timing key be bad for more highly modified motors if both are doing the same thing? Maybe the CDI boxes advance it less than 6 degrees making it run ine with big bore of high compression, idk?