PDA

View Full Version : idle adjust question

sskustomz
04-19-2008, 04:29 PM
when i turn the idle adjust screw in it doesn't hit the steel flap on the slide rod until its just about bottomed out. I can not get this thing to idle at all.Heres some info on the quad:

174 main
45 pilot
needle 3rd clip
cam mod
honda throttle mod
hmf full system

I have recently traded my 400ex for this quad and im thinking about going back to the red side if these are the issues im gonna keep dealin with although i have always loved the power of the yamaha's . Also i tried bending the steel flap up to get the idle adjust work and it did but when i let off the throttle it stays at a high idle them comes down after a second. Any help would be greatly appreciated

jrspawn
04-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Sure your turning the idle adjuster on the backside of the carb? Also did you take the carb apart? Sounds like you could have the slide plate upside down possibly.

Thank you
Justin

Knoxy
04-21-2008, 04:03 PM
yep sounds like the slide is upside down.
there should be a little opening on the bottom of the carb that you can see through! that is for idle...

another thing to maybe help would be taking it a clip higher or lower and playing with it that way...

possibly a fuel problem as well
spark plugs?
air filter

let me know!

sskustomz
04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
yep the carb has been apart ounce before,ill check it out and check back in

sskustomz
04-27-2008, 04:35 PM
well kudos too you who figured this out but now i have a new problem and it might be a bigger issue then before but i hope not. After the carb deal was all figured out i wanted to go riding worse then ever before so i did.As i was making my way down the path to a small mx track near the trails i ride the quad started to lose power severely.When i finaly reached the track i grabed a whole fist full of the throttle and the f'ing thing fell on its face worse then ever and then seconds later died and would-will not restart......Any ideas before i shoot myself would be great. Ive got a couple of off the wall iudeas myself such as burnt valves,hole in the piston,or maybe by any luck a fouled plug.please god be the plug....anyway ideas all accepted thanx

jrspawn
04-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Did it backfire or anything out of the ordinary, or just lost its power? Hows the oil and coolant look. Your sparkplug boot/coil on tight? Does it crank over?

Justin

sskustomz
04-27-2008, 09:41 PM
gonna do a compression test tommorow but ill give those a check...thanx ill let ya know

Knoxy
04-28-2008, 09:22 AM
check the plugs... like said before..

also... check the valves... you could be out. it s a bit of work to get them back in spec... but it could be the problem... once you lose the head on the valves the quad usually doesn't restart.... decently pricy to fix too!

also... another problem could def be your air intake.... if you punched it and then it just died you might not be getting enough air..

keep us updated