PDA

View Full Version : Help!! wont start after rebuild

swampfox543
04-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi guys this is my first post and wouldn't u know it im in trouble. I just got this '02 400 ex and figured id go through it a bit to just clean some things like the carb and some other things. the bike was running when i got it but was running really rich. Anyway i got the carb apart and noticed the guy had a 170 main jet where stock is a 148. The bike has a K&N filter with outerwear and a white brothers eseries full exhaust. Not to mention im in SC and my elevation is around 230ft. So I got a 155 main jet to lean it some, i kept the #38 slow jet and put the carb back together. while i was there i checked the valve clearences the exhausts where dead on but i had to adjust the intakes back to .004 in they were a tick tight. after i got everthing together i attempted to start it well nothing so i gave it wide open throttle well it's spittin and poppin and will not idle at all. fuel is being blown out the back of the carb not alot but enough to get the frame wet. I've checked everything i know and I'm at a loss. If anyone's got an idea please help me out. Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike :(

blasterandy
04-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Hello, im in sc also the columbia area, you ought to runna 160 with those specs. My atv had just about the same mods before i sold it. It sounds as if you adjusted the valves wrong, check and see if you accidently used the .04 feeler rather than the .004 also while you are in the carb check the gasket and make sure you don't have an air leak.

REDRIDDER
04-19-2008, 06:29 PM
when you adjusted your valves did you rotate the crank counter clock wise? and was the t mark on the fly wheel on the compression stroke and all rocker arms should of been lose all valves should be closed.sounds to me that something went wrong here, so recheck the valves again and make sure all rocker arms are lose meaning your on the compression stroke and always rotate the crank counter clock wise.let us know what happens then hope this helps.

swampfox543
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey guys thanks for the replys but it actually wasn't a valve adjustment problem... I feel really stupid saying this but i left the needle jet out. I guess it fell out during disassembly it finally dawned on my when i was atempting to start it and the fuel was just pouring out. Dam I'm a retard but atleast i fugured it out i guess. Thanks again for the replys

blasterandy
04-20-2008, 07:11 AM
haha, dont feel too bad i left my main loose in my old blaster. The thing rattled out durring a run. The problem eluded me for a couple of days. Then i take the carb appart and lying right at the bottom of the float bowl was the culprit.