PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire upgrade can't decide.

jdub03
04-19-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm looking to replace the original rear tires and have found 3 tire's i'm interested in. ITP holeshots 20x11x9 14lbs 4ply $60 mainly for the price worried about 4ply, ITP XCR's 16.5lbs 6ply $87 & Kenda Claw XCR can't find weight $62 6ply. I'm looking to make it less tipsy and more stable. I ride alot of different terrain: hard dirt, rock, sand, mostly trails. The ITP XCR's interest me the most. Does anyone here have experiece with any of these 3 tires. I looked into razr's, but they were more money & heavier with a similar tread design as the holeshots. Will I notice an extra 2lbs a tire as far acceleration goes. I need it to be puncture resistant also. Thanks

04-19-2008, 04:54 PM
yeah your going to regret getting ITP over Maxxis I can tell you that right now. 2lbs is nothing to a quad and Maxxis Tires hold up WAY better. ITP dont last nearly as long but thats your choice. If you want a tire than grips and last long get Maxxis Razr.

250excrf250r
04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
yeah your going to regret getting ITP over Maxxis I can tell you that right now. 2lbs is nothing to a quad and Maxxis Tires hold up WAY better. ITP dont last nearly as long but thats your choice. If you want a tire than grips and last long get Maxxis Razr.
i agree and on motosport.com the razrs arre only 60$ a peice

Honda10
04-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Get razrs, I have them on my 250ex and they grip when you want them to grip and slide when you want them to slide.

exrider12
04-20-2008, 08:35 AM
i had kendas, wicked good tires. they are reversable for each type of terrain so they hook up everywhere.

bearair
04-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Just put Kenda Knarlys on my wife's bike Friday. Took it out yesterday and WOW! What a difference. She says it's like riding a different bike. It's much more stable and slides instead of tipping. I took it for a quick spin and it slides predictably instead of wanting to get up on two wheels. She was a lot faster yesterday also and had more fun.

We ended up getting the 22X11X9 to keep the diameter stock for ground clearance. We ride in desert and hills where the terrain can get very rocky. I put a set on my 400ex this weekend also, and they GRIP. Much better on the rocky stuff and they hook well in the loose stuff. I'm really impressed with them.

These are a great tire for the type of terrain we have here in Southern Idaho.

jdub03
04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all your opinions. I'll decide soon, hopefully. lol

prairiemonster
04-20-2008, 10:58 AM
If you want a tire that looks cool and you like to go slow then get the razers.If you are in tune with your quad you will notice that extra two pounds per tire,but the killer part is being 11" wide.Why would you say one tire last longer than the other, do you know how, when, and where everyone rides!See all that tread on the outside edge of the razer tire they are made not to slide,give me a break.
Out of the 7 450r made today only one has a 11"wide tire the KTM
2 use 18x10 the others use 20x10 and we are talking quads around 50 hp.So why would you put bigger tires on a less than
20hp quad and expect more performance,I just don't get it!
The best tire for 250ex would be a 22/21x10" with a mx type tread and a super lite 11lb.The ITP GNCC 21x10 is close but the weight is a real power robber for the 250.
What about:
ITP, SR radial,Trac Star,sp mud-lite
Maxxis, All-track, more traction than the 250 can use
Sedona, Sling Shot
Thorns, rocks, glass and tree limbs really do care what ply rating you have, they can't read.:ermm:

ryanh250ex
04-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I have razrs, and they work well, but like prairie monster said, they are heavy.

Get a 4 ply tire, 6 ply is way too much and you dont have to worry about punctures.

WEIGHT IS EVERYTHING. 1 lb of rolling mass is equal to 7 lbs of non-rolling mass!!!

RideRed84
04-20-2008, 02:46 PM
If you want to save some money get stock 400ex tires. I have them on my 250 and they made a big difference in stability and grip pretty well. I will have to agree that a heavier tire on the 250 will effect it more then you think.

01exrider 281
04-20-2008, 06:09 PM
yea i have a 300ex and i had the stock 22 inch tires and then i set it up to race and got 20's in the front and 18's in the rear. the smaller tires made the lighter and the low profile makes the biggest difference

04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
The 11" wide tire makes the quad actually wider by about an inch all together which is good for most. Also that 1" gives you more grip because of area. Razrs are the best all around tire and they hold up much better than ITP. I have talked to so many racers that said they had ITP and couldnt wait until they wore them out to get Razrs. They switched to Razrs and said they wont ever run another tire besides Razrs.

250excrf250r
04-20-2008, 08:23 PM
yea i love my razrs but im selling my quad soon and buying a 400 or 450 and plan to put razrs or klaws but ill probly get the razrs

bearair
04-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I've heard nothing but good about the Razrs also. That was my other choice. We went with the Kenda Knarlys as they are supposed to be a bit better in rocks and desert which is what we have more of.

The Kendas increased overall width by about an inch, but the big difference is the tread pattern is flat profile like the Razrs or the Holeshots. Since the stockers are only their max diameter at the center of the tread, it's like widening the rear 8 inches going to the flat profile tires. My wife thinks it's a different bike. I also put a Billetanium steering damper on it and she's totally sold on that. I can hardly wait until her shocks get here!

One of the things I see people (and magazines) complain about on the 250ex, is that it feels tippy. My initial impression of it was that the heavier a rider is, the worse it is due to the distance above the center of gravity that the weight sits. After putting the new rears on, it slides now instead of wanting to tuck a wheel under in the rear and 2 wheeling on corners. It's very predictable. My wife didn't like the feel of the bike on off-camber stuff (like side-hill trails) as she felt it was going to tip over. With the new tires, she says that feeling is gone and she is really able to go more places without feeling nervous. She also said the steeper hills aren't bothering her as much. The steering damper cured the bike wanting to pull her around in the ruts and she's raving about that. She said she won't second guess me on modifications anymore. That alone is worth the price of the damper!