PDA

View Full Version : 700XX at the dealers....

reconranger
04-18-2008, 10:26 PM
All my local dealers had the XX on the floor today. It's just as heavy in person as it is "on paper"! The front end looked fairly wide, which is probably going to be a good thing...or not if one is a tight trail rider?????

Who's going to buy one and give us a rider review????

reconranger
04-20-2008, 08:06 AM
In another forum, a rider rated it as being like an improved 400EX. Didn't feel it was even close to being in the Raptor 700 class in terms of either power or handling. Felt its closest comparison might be the KLX700, which is a real pig in my book!

RATPACK Z400
04-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Im going to stop by and see Monday !

UNBROKEN
04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=6250&Page=2

thers ure review

RosquistRacer39
04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by reconranger
All my local dealers had the XX on the floor today. It's just as heavy in person as it is "on paper"! The front end looked fairly wide, which is probably going to be a good thing...or not if one is a tight trail rider?????

Who's going to buy one and give us a rider review????

Yea right whos going to go put down 8 grand for a big bike like that? You'll just have to go by mag reviews cause any real rider isn't buying that thing. Maybe some old guys will but IDK.

04hemiboy
04-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by RosquistRacer39
Yea right whos going to go put down 8 grand for a big bike like that? You'll just have to go by mag reviews cause any real rider isn't buying that thing. Maybe some old guys will but IDK.

$8000 is peanuts. I'll bet I'll see boatloads of them where I ride in Quebec. We have like 27000k of trail and the ****ty 450's just don't cut it. There's about 50 Renegade's every weekend up there and they're $14000.00 machines. For the guys that fart around on their machines for a few hours a weekend won't want it. The guy that actually rides his bike and don't need the 4x4 will be all over it. Mine should be here shortly. If it pulls & rides like my Gade does it'll be a blast to ride.

RosquistRacer39
04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Like I said any real rider isn't going to buy them. I disagree, this bike is made more for the casual rider to go messing around on the weekend. Not for racers. But to each his own.

OutlawBill
04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Like I said any real rider isn't going to buy them. I disagree, this bike is made more for the casual rider to go messing around on the weekend. Not for racers. But to each his own. I guess Wayne Matlock is not a real rider then. He is racing one and winning.

blbraptor
04-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 04hemiboy
$8000 is peanuts. I'll bet I'll see boatloads of them where I ride in Quebec. We have like 27000k of trail and the ****ty 450's just don't cut it. There's about 50 Renegade's every weekend up there and they're $14000.00 machines. For the guys that fart around on their machines for a few hours a weekend won't want it. The guy that actually rides his bike and don't need the 4x4 will be all over it. Mine should be here shortly. If it pulls & rides like my Gade does it'll be a blast to ride.

Based on the reviews that are out there, it definitely will NOT pull like your Renegade. You SHOULD be able to definitely muscle it around a lot easier in the tight stuff than the Renegade, I would think.

reconranger
04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Those of you who know Dumont where the XX introduction was held, know that that is a pretty poor venue to test a "trail" or "desert" quad. It has monster dunes and the very rocky Amergosa River wash (yes, that is what passes for a "river" in the desert!), but nothing you could call a real trail and not much you could call desert cross country either.......

blbraptor
04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Those of you who know Dumont where the XX introduction was held, know that that is a pretty poor venue to test a "trail" or "desert" quad. It has monster dunes and the very rocky Amergosa River wash (yes, that is what passes for a "river" in the desert!), but nothing you could call a real trail and not much you could call desert cross country either.......

Which raises the question as to why Honda chose to have the intro there to begin with. Any thoughts on that?

RosquistRacer39
04-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
I guess Wayne Matlock is not a real rider then. He is racing one and winning.
Is Wayne Matlock buying the bike? No he is sponsored by honda and getting the bikes for free. Once again, no real rider is going to buy that thing. If they gave it to me for free to test I would ride the heck out of it, but like I said I wouldn't put out 8 grand for one.

blbraptor
04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Is Wayne Matlock buying the bike? No he is sponsored by honda and getting the bikes for free. Once again, no real rider is going to buy that thing. If they gave it to me for free to test I would ride the heck out of it, but like I said I wouldn't put out 8 grand for one.

What is a "real" rider in your definition?

RosquistRacer39
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Im saying someone whose going to take it out and beat it to find out whats good and bad. Find the weak points and tell you about them. Do you think any magazine or sponsored guy will. No way they need the sponsor $'s from honda and I cant blame them. But I just dont see some pro buying that bike to find the faults to tell you. I see alot of trail riding guys liking them and thats who its designed for, not racers. But quads dont get the same kind of abuse on the trails as they do while being raced. It should be a solid bike with the xr 650 based motor, but I wouldn't shell out 8 grand for that bike just cause it says honda. I would get a Outlaw 525 if I was set on IRS.

D Bergstrom
04-22-2008, 03:23 PM

I do not know if Wayne bought his or not, but he has a choice between it and the 450R. He must see some potential in the 700XX if he is racing it. I will bet you money, if you walked up to Wayne and asked him about it, he would tell you what he really thinks about it, good or bad. I will be asking him when I see him next month at a race.

Doug

blbraptor
04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
But I just dont see some pro buying that bike to find the faults to tell you. [/B]

I don't think that reviews are ever done that way. After a few months, there will be some long-term evaluations on the XX, which will tell us a lot more about this machine.

I see alot of trail riding guys liking them and thats who its designed for, not racers. But quads dont get the same kind of abuse on the trails as they do while being raced. It should be a solid bike with the xr 650 based motor, but I wouldn't shell out 8 grand for that bike just cause it says honda. I would get a Outlaw 525 if I was set on IRS.[/B]

The Honda will be about a $1000 more than the Outlaw. A lot of people will pay more just for the reliability and name of Honda over Polaris. The EFI alone is a big selling point. Will the XX be a better trail quad than the Outlaw for the average Joe like myself? I guess we'll all find out soon.

04hemiboy
04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by blbraptor
Based on the reviews that are out there, it definitely will NOT pull like your Renegade. You SHOULD be able to definitely muscle it around a lot easier in the tight stuff than the Renegade, I would think.

One review said they think it's quicker then the ThunderCat and that bike pulls on me about 2 bike lengths. My Gade is pretty heavy but you don't feel it till you have to lift it when stuck. The Honda at 508 should be a breeze.

RosquistRacer39
04-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
I do not know if Wayne bought his or not, but he has a choice between it and the 450R. He must see some potential in the 700XX if he is racing it. I will bet you money, if you walked up to Wayne and asked him about it, he would tell you what he really thinks about it, good or bad. I will be asking him when I see him next month at a race.

Doug

Ill bet he see's the potental in the motor and who wouldn't. Youll be able to get big power out of it. And in the desert Honda probably wanted him to put the bike out to show it can win, therefore more sales. Honda rules the desert because they put the money into it.

blbraptor
04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 04hemiboy
One review said they think it's quicker then the ThunderCat and that bike pulls on me about 2 bike lengths. My Gade is pretty heavy but you don't feel it till you have to lift it when stuck. The Honda at 508 should be a breeze.

I'm familiar with the review you are talking about, but they must have been talking top speed. All the other reviews have said that the power is very linear, somewhat mellow, and that it seems geared high, which means it does not hit nearly as hard as I had hoped it would. Some reviews said that it was not as fast as the Raptor at any part of the power curve. That means it would get SPANKED by the Outlaw as far as acceleration.
The Renegade is a sweet quad, but I rode one on the trail after I had been riding my Raptor most of the day and it felt heavy and tall to me. That's not a knock on it, you just can't ride the Renegade like you can a sport quad.

reconranger
04-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by blbraptor
Which raises the question as to why Honda chose to have the intro there to begin with. Any thoughts on that?

Probably becasue Honda is based in LA, and Dumont is just three hours away.

I can certainly see why they chose the river wash, which is pure rocks. This is a great place to test IRS, and should be the kind of place where IRS and high ground clearance really comes into its own. Thing is, none of the reviewers exactly raved about its handling in the rocks. I think most felt the suspension was stiff, which may be the tradeoff for eliminating a lot of body roll.

As for the dunes, I can't see how this machine will ever make a duner at all, and most of the reviews I have read seem to agree with that.

To reach any conclusion that this machine has been tested in realistic "desert" conditions is just silly, but you can be assured that Honda will race it in Baja and most likely win, but they will only do it once and it sure won't be their permanent ride!

This machine is a rocky/rutted trail quad, plain and simple. It should excell on eastern trails where one needs high ground clearance and IRS, but doesn't quite need 4wd. Thing is, they built it to big and to heavy....just like some other oddball bikes like the Kawi 700.

blbraptor
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM

I can certainly see why they chose the river wash, which is pure rocks. This is a great place to test IRS, and should be the kind of place where IRS and high ground clearance really comes into its own. Thing is, none of the reviewers exactly raved about its handling in the rocks. I think most felt the suspension was stiff, which may be the tradeoff for eliminating a lot of body roll.

As for the dunes, I can't see how this machine will ever make a duner at all, and most of the reviews I have read seem to agree with that.

This machine is a rocky/rutted trail quad, plain and simple. It should excell on easter trails where one needs high ground clearance and IRS, but doesn't quite need 4wd. Thing is, they built it to big and to heavy....

Too big and too heavy for what? I was hoping that it would be 50 pounds lighter than it is, but I guess not. How detrimental will the extra weight be on the trail, I don't really know yet, other than the fact that the combination of IRS and weight will definitely push in the corners moreso than a SRA sport quad. But this isn't a SRA sport quad and it shouldn't really be compared to one. The only real comparison to the XX is the Outlaw. The XX outweighs it by what, 60 pounds at dry weight? The Outlaw definitely has a hard pulling engine, but it is also geared a little high. But if you were to put the two side by side, the Outlaw looks like a cheap knockoff. That's not to say that the Outlaw is a bad machine, the Honda just looks like it is built much better. Hopefully the aftermarket companies can help awaken the beast in the engine of the XX.

scuzz
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM
They have two here:

Get 'em while they're hot. (NO I DO NOT work for the dealership, just trying to help.) I must admit it was disconcerting to see that they couldn't spell "Honda" right...

:)

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/rvs/654610027.html

WE HAVE 2 NEW HODNA 700XX SPORT QUADS IN STOCK!!

JEREMY STEPHENSON
405 273 1400
MON-SAT 9-7

OutlawBill
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom

Doug I did get to ask him about the 700XX and his first impressions was that he likes it. He likes the way it handles all the uneven bumps the ones that kicks a quad sideways with the IRS it went straight and true.

OutlawBill
04-24-2008, 12:58 PM

To reach any conclusion that this machine has been tested in realistic "desert" conditions is just silly, but you can be assured that Honda will race it in Baja and most likely win, but they will only do it once and it sure won't be their permanent ride!

This machine is a rocky/rutted trail quad, plain and simple. It should excell on eastern trails where one needs high ground clearance and IRS, but doesn't quite need 4wd. Thing is, they built it to big and to heavy....just like some other oddball bikes like the Kawi 700. It has been tested in desert race it won the D-38 April Fools 100 race. And as for the dunes it will be a great dunner but not a hill racer.

D Bergstrom
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
I did get to ask him about the 700XX and his first impressions was that he likes it. He likes the way it handles all the uneven bumps the ones that kicks a quad sideways with the IRS it went straight and true.

I think the IFS will be a real plus in the desert compared to a straight axle quad. I think the only draw back will be the weight of the quad during a longer race, but we will see. I hope Wayne decides to race it at the upcoming BITD race, I would like to check it out. I am sure the weight does not bother Wayne, the guy is a animal! Nothing kills your ego faster then thinking you are riding well and having Wayne blow by you like you are standing still!

Doug

OutlawBill
04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
He sure passed me and then when I tried to fellow, he still left me in the dust. He was so much faster than this old fool that his dust cleared out and I could not even keep up with his dust cloud. :D

blbraptor
04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
So it can haul *** in the desert, how do you think it will fare in the mountain trails?

reconranger
04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
A good rider can do well on any reasonable machine! Honda raced the Rincon utility in Baja and won. You think the team wanted to ride it??? Probably not, but they were getting paid to prove it could go the distance so that is what they did....that's what their sponsor wanted.

It will be the same with this machine. With some mods it will probably be quite workable in Baja. Will anybody who isn't getting paid to ride one choose to race it....I doubt it.

OutlawBill
04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
A good rider can do well on any reasonable machine! Honda raced the Rincon utility in Baja and won. You think the team wanted to ride it??? Probably not, but they were getting paid to prove it could go the distance so that is what they did....that's what their sponsor wanted.

It will be the same with this machine. With some mods it will probably be quite workable in Baja. Will anybody who isn't getting paid to ride one choose to race it....I doubt it. If I did not hvae my Outlaw I would.

D Bergstrom
04-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Will anybody who isn't getting paid to ride one choose to race it....I doubt it.

I do not get paid, and I sure would race it. You have to remember this is a 700XX , not a 700R , it is not designed to be a race quad, but I sure would give it a try.:D I bet other desert racers will also.

Who is getting paid to ride any Honda? Last I heard, no one is really getting real factory support on the quad side. You will not see the XX on a motocross track, as it was never designed for it. You will not see it at the start of a pro GNCC race, as I think the engine limit is 500 something cc's for the pro's. I do not see it being a woods type bike anyway, to heavy, but who knows, I am sure someone will try it.

Doug

D Bergstrom
04-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Was driving buy one of the local Honda dealers and figured I would stop by to see if they had a 700XX. Actually had two of them. I thought they looked better in person. I pictured some monster quad with a 500 lb plus weight, but it looked to be about the same overall dimensions as a 450R, just a little taller. Still not really crazy about the front plastic. Did not get to take a really good look as I had a salesmen already pestering me from the moment I walked into the door. To bad this dealer NEVER sells under retail, I may have went home with one!.

Doug

TRX450R2
04-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I am going to ride it! I am getting older and have been racing my 06 ER for a long time now! If it is plush for trail riding and doesn't hurt my back, I will def add it to my stable!

Hondamaster5505
04-28-2008, 05:44 PM
:huh :confused: :huh :confused: :huh :confused: :huh :confused:

What the hell is that damn thing on the right?:eek2:

OutlawBill
04-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
:huh :confused: :huh :confused: :huh :confused: :huh :confused:

What the hell is that damn thing on the right?:eek2: I would say it is a New Zealand hill racer

TRX450R2
04-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Right on Brother! We build em big and fast here! Over 150mph on a Quad is like nothing else on Earth!!
It is a 4wd Scrambler powered by a ZXR1200 fuel injected KAWI!
And a couple of AEROFOILS to stop it leaving the ground!! HEEHEE

liledg
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
WOW crazy not n your class!

red_rider_069
04-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R2
Right on Brother! We build em big and fast here! Over 150mph on a Quad is like nothing else on Earth!!
It is a 4wd Scrambler powered by a ZXR1200 fuel injected KAWI!
And a couple of AEROFOILS to stop it leaving the ground!! HEEHEE that ugly thing haha, powerful but butt ugly

JOEBERNAL
05-01-2008, 01:39 AM
new video on www.hrca.honda.com theres a video on the 700xx. i rode it like a rental check it out tell me what you think

JOEBERNAL
05-01-2008, 01:44 AM
?

TRX450R2
05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
GR8 video, worth watching, and will be keen to ride one when it arrives here!

tank69
05-13-2008, 02:35 PM
This thing is going to be a desert racing monster. I'll keep my 450R for 300 or less mile races, but anything over that will be 700XX territory. I plan on waiting a year and then getting one.