PDA

View Full Version : sparks timing key question

oldschool73
04-18-2008, 09:21 PM
If I run bone stock except for a k&n with an outerwears and install the sparks key, will i notice an improvement? how much hotter will it run?Is it ok to do this on a trail quad that is never raced?I'm just looking to make it a little snappier without jetting or piping. Thats all. I already installed a 14tooth sprocket and this improved it some.this quad has minimal hours on it so I know the motor is not tired, it's just the powerband is kind of mellow. Thanks in advance

hondaking52
04-19-2008, 08:28 AM
you will notice alot more of bottom end power and it willl run a bit hotter and a trail quad will work fine , and u migth be able to get away with out jetting....maybe....once you get it, run it for awile and check ur plug, gotta be brown like cardboard

hornetgod13
04-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, it we be perfect for your set up. It worked well on my XC quad (I removed it when I went up to a (416cc 11:1 Piston). I have an oil temp dip stick and I really didn't see much of a noticable rise in the engine temp, it might be 15 to 30 degrees.

It will help your low end throttle response and give you quicker acceleration from idle.

Here's a link to a "how to" for the installation.
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/timingkey400ex.html

You will need a new left side crankcase gasket and an Impact gun will make pulling/reinstalling the fly wheel a lot easier.

oldschool73
04-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys, I'll order one.