PDA

View Full Version : engine ?'s

the dude
04-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Im putting together a new engine for my 86 250r with parts I have laying around and was wondering what you all think of it. Its a 1986 motor, has a new crank and rod, resleeved cylinder (295-310) and it is on the 73mm piston (so i guess 300cc?), port work will consist of rounding edges and deburring, as well as gasket matching etc, sock head, v-force reeds, 38 air stryker, esr airbox eliminator (but I think I am going to put the air box on) I want to run the trx5 pipe, but right now it has a paul turner eliminator with ESR silencer, or I also have a complete FMF or LRD adjustable pipe.

Any recommendations? will this be a good combo? how much power? should I get some serious port work done? should I get a new/different head?

I ride in the desert and dunes (glamis), run half 91/ half 110 and mix 36:1. Any ballpark guess as to jetting?

Thanks

wilkin250r
04-18-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm not too keen on those resleeve 310 cylinders. Lots of people have run them with success, so it's not like each and every one is doomed to failure, but I see a lot more problems with the 310 resleeves than I do with the aftermarket cylinders.

If your budget would allow it, I would definitely recommend serious portwork, and most places that do the porting can also rechamber the stock head for a decent price so you wouldn't need to buy a complete new aftermarket head for higher compression.

The TRX5 is a good pipe, no doubt, but if your budget will only allow one or the other, you'll see MUCH bigger gains with a good port job than you will by switching the pipe.

the dude
04-19-2008, 12:29 PM
price really isn't a huge issue, I just blew out first gear in one engine (246 w/ some port work), so instead of putting a new bottom end in that one, I am assembling this with the extra pieces I have laying around.

How much does porting typically cost? when I did a search, there wasn't much info about local people hear in phx, but there was mention of sending it to someone named Neil?

I also was reading about resleeves running hot too? That is why I was considering a cool head.

wilkin250r
04-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Porting is one of those things that can vary widely in price, and depending on who is doing the actual porting, the price doesn't always guarentee quality.

But as a general rule, the price is somewhere between $250 and $500.

Neil is a member here, his screen name is C-LEIGH RACING (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=8757). If you do contact him, don't discuss business on the site. Maybe send a PM just to get his phone number.

jamesblown97
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
neil did my motor and im very happy with it

86 Quad R
04-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by jamesblown97
neil did my motor and im very happy with it

2nd that.

great power and the craftsmanship is like no other. :cool: