PDA

View Full Version : 400ex motor upgrade

blankenship
04-18-2008, 07:17 PM
hey guys here is my question i am gunna throw some money in my 01 400ex motor want to know the best bore/stroke combination or kit that works the best but is still really reliable as i do alotta trail riding but still like to go to all the local tracks and race and need more power what do u guys think was thinkin 426 big bore kit and +4mm stroke but wasnt sure how reliable it will be????/ any suggestions

Wheelie
04-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Check out www.powroll.com. Great company to deal with, first class people and the quality of work is top notch.

This is my 3rd year on their 440 stroker kit, very reliable kit, as reliable as a stock 400ex, IMO, with a lot more power.

Powrolls kit uses a 416(87mm) piston with a +4mm crankshaft. Don't let anyone tell that strokers rev slow either, cause they don't.

blankenship
04-18-2008, 08:38 PM
yea i was actually just there but dont like the fact u have to send ur crank to them..........never split the block on my ex yet is it very hard i mean like isnt there a 1000 parts in ur trans...??

Wheelie
04-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Any stroker will require splitting of the cases.

If you're mechanically apt, have a Clymer's manual/Honda manual, splitting the cases isn't that difficult. Take your time and pay close attention to what you're doing.

400exMO
04-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Ya if money was not an issue I'd build a stroker with oversized valves fcr carb etc.
We can all sit here and tell you what to do but you will not be completly satisfied until you search and do hours of research. There are a bunch of great engine builds out there and you need to figure out which one is the best for you.