PDA

View Full Version : New guy, new atv

Hatchman
04-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new here, this is my first post. Also got my first ATV yesterday. I bought an '07 400EX for $3500. It's only got a few dozen hours on it, so I think that was a good deal.

I'm looking to go out to Slades Park in Surry, VA, tomorrow and do some riding for the first time. I'm not new to ATV's or motorcycles, just never owned one.

Did some work on it today. Battery connections were completely loose, parking brake was so loose it had no effect. Lubed a few cables, gave it a good washing, fixed the tire pressure (it was 2 in the front, 15 in the rear, WTF?), and cleaned/lubed the chain for what look like the first time ever. But, it's in great shape and I'm looking forward to my first outing on it.

Just wanted to say hello!

REPOMAN
04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
welcome to the site

400exMO
04-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Welcome to the addiction.

buster024
04-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the site...and congrats on your new money pit......I swore I wasn't going to add anything to mine for a while......Oh man was I wrong....
Good luck!!

Hatchman
04-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I'm used to getting sucked into an addiction. Done the road racing thing for the past 8 years. Started out with a street bike and a track day, ended up with a truck, enclosed trailer, thousand$ in gear and track schools, and have had 8 more sportbikes with all the supporting mods. Bought an '05 Mustang and dumped a crazy amount into it, over 16K and 550hp now. Ford Lightning, same thing, drag radials, wheels, pulleys, exhaust, dyno tune bla bla bla.

I am going to keep the 400ex stock though. :D

Yah, right!

bearair
04-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah, good luck with that. You're going to keep it stock. Oh wait, this part only costs $50 and makes a big difference. And that part really sounds neat and it's only $150. I don't like the way it does X, Y or Z, what I really need is tires and some suspension. Maybe a tad more power. Maybe a different bar would feel better...

Just don't let the mods start to run away from you!

Gatekeeper
04-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Hatchman

Yah, right!
That was my plan when I got mine in october:rolleyes:
Welcome!
The people on this site have been tremendously helpful to me. Good luck with your new toy and try to avoid A.A.D.S!

Pipeless416
04-19-2008, 01:09 PM
welcome to the site! just a tip, take off the entire parking brake mechanism.. they're worthless on 400ex's and just prematurely wear the brake pads. so ditch it and pick up a parking brake blockoff. have fun with your 400! :)

mittman
04-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
welcome to the site! just a tip, take off the entire parking brake mechanism.. they're worthless on 400ex's and just prematurely wear the brake pads. so ditch it and pick up a parking brake blockoff. have fun with your 400! :)

i took mine off the first 5 min it was in my garage lol

Hatchman
04-20-2008, 05:59 AM
That's interesting that they are prone to drag. I wonder if that's why the dealership had it set so loose it had no effect. It took me forever to get it adjusted so it wouldn't drag, I lube the cable and all the linkage points, readjusted the linkage connection on the rear caliper several times, etc. Seems the return spring just isn't strong enough to make sure it is released. Probably just take it off and put on a block off plate. I guess first gear will hold in to place well enough. Or during transit, a zip tie on the front brake (helps to get air bubbles out of the line too).

Here's a after pic. Like ya'll have never seen a bone stock 400EX before, ha!

atvhonda-rider
04-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Welcome to the site, like the guys have said this site is a tremendous help, i dont even bother with eBay anymore! Good Luck with your money pit, if I myself can manage putting 6k in a quad at the age of 16 I can't wait to see what you will come up with! :)

tri5ron
04-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Hatchman
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I'm used to getting sucked into an addiction. Done the road racing thing for the past 8 years. Started out with a street bike and a track day, ended up with a truck, enclosed trailer, thousand$ in gear and track schools, and have had 8 more sportbikes with all the supporting mods. Bought an '05 Mustang and dumped a crazy amount into it, over 16K and 550hp now. Ford Lightning, same thing, drag radials, wheels, pulleys, exhaust, dyno tune bla bla bla.

Yah, right!

The Symptoms of A.A.D.S. are showing quite strong already.
You may want to hand over your credit cards and atm card to someone who can keep them safe for you.
If you dont have anyone you can trust, just PM me and I'll send you my address.
I'll be happy to help.:devil:

Valhalla
04-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Shoulda stuck to the Aprillia's old man. theres no room in this sport for an old has-been like you.

:D

Fancy running into you here you old displaced Pensacola reject!!!!! :devil: Does Evin know you have ventured out of the safety net of the p-cola forums?

Hatchman
04-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh, I'm still doing the Aprilia thing. Just took it to the track Monday at VIR, Full Course with TPM. Ran some 2:16's on stock suspension, brakes, and street tires. Not bad if I say so myself. Finally toasted the stock pads and have some new ones ordered, going Ferodo sintered, but I digress.

P'cola forums, ha! Bunch of young punks cussing each other out all day over nothing. I think I've posted once on there in the past year and that was a "Happy Birthday" to Tim. That place got old quick, to much whining, not enough talking about bike stuff.

Born and raised in Alabama, I've always wanted a quad. Rode plenty of other's in the past, just never got around to buying one myself. Finally saved up and got a killer deal on this one. Heading up to PA in a few weeks for a 4 day camping trip on my buddy's 500 acres. Should be a blast.

By the way, Rowdy is doing great, best dog I've ever had. Thanks a bunch! Your old breakfast bar and stool, by the way, is for sale if you want it back, ha! I'll cut you good deal. :)

Remember this day out at Rob's? The good old days... now back again!

quadfamily
04-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey bud, We've got a rule against posting riding pics without helmets. The rules are below. Sorry, just wanted to let you know.

Valhalla
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
yea i havent spent much time on there either except for the occasional peek to see everyone still cussing at Evin.

I asked for orders back to NC and they sent me to Yuma AZ instead. Figured that since i was here in sand dune heaven i may as well see what all the hype is all about. Sold both bikes and bought 2 ATV's to hold me over while im stuck here. its not nearly as fun as carving the corners on 180hp machines, but it'll do till i get back to the greener side of the USA.

I'll be hittin the open seas in about 2 weeks. im on my block leave now before we set sail to Iraq and Afganistan. Hopefully ill be back in November. i get the fun part of prepping my toys for storage this week so they dont go to **** while im gone.

USS Peleliu, here i come :((
ill PM you my home and boat email addresses. Let me know if you have any overseas requests while we're in SE Asia and ill look into snagging it.

Hatchman
04-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by quadfamily
Hey bud, We've got a rule against posting riding pics without helmets. The rules are below. Sorry, just wanted to let you know.

Sorry about that bud, thanks for the tips.