PDA

View Full Version : Oil problem

97WarriorRider
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey guys. Well I changed the oil in my 99 EX two nights ago and tonight was the first it had been started since. I rode it around in first and second gear in the lawn for about 5 mins. about 2 hours later I went down and checked the oil. According to my manual they only hold about 1.95 quarts. Well there was nothing on the stick and I put about 1.95 quarts in the tank. WTF is going on? Please help

GPracer2500
04-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Dry sump engines are finicky about how you check the oil. If you don't follow the oil check procedure properly you could easily get an erroneous reading.

This thread has the correct method: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2895214#post2895214

XXXRACER165
04-18-2008, 05:39 PM
When I change my oil, I fill the tank all the way up (2 quarts). Then after I let it idle for good 2min I check it, and the level is just right.

97WarriorRider
04-18-2008, 06:31 PM
yeah I put about 1.75 quarts in and there was nothing on the stick..I will check that thread out

reconranger
04-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Mine will never give me an accurate reading if I just "warm it up" like the owner's manual says. I have to take it for a ride, get it hot, and run through all the gears. If I don't the level will always look low.

I know someone who thought their's was low, so they added oil and the pressure had nowhere to go and it blew the oil lines right off the tank!!!

Here is what I do on an oil change. Drain the tank and crankcase (give it lots of time so the oil cooler drains as well). Refill the tank....it will only hold around 1.8 quarts. Start it up breifly to distribute the oil to the dry oil filter, oil cooler, and crankcase. The oil level in the tank will drop just to the bottom of the dipstick. Refill tank to the top of the dipstick, then take it for a real ride. Recheck oil level after the ride, and top it up if necessary.

UNBROKEN
04-20-2008, 07:21 AM
^ recon u love these oil threads lol i see ure on every one on, TT