PDA

View Full Version : UNI or K&N

08Honda400ex
04-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Which air filter is better for the 400ex?

zdowell
04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Anyone notice the trend on this site, once a thread disappears off the main page, someone else starts one, and it starts over again? Why not though, the site would probably die if it not.

I can tell you one thing, its going to be a 50/50 split. If you search even a page or 3 back there is a poll about K&N and UNI. I have run both, the K&N you need to care for a little more because it will not perform if its not oiled.

No offense to you. I do it to.

08Honda400ex
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
ok thanks

UNBROKEN
04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
ive ran uni filters in all of my bikes u cant go wrong with UNI, but foam filters are better when i comes to mud and dusty places but either one u neeed to keep them oiled regularley...

gcart2
04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345412

99_Fourtrax
04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I have a K&N but am thinking of switching to UNI. BUT 2 weeks ago I went quaddin' down by the river and started bogging down bad under heavy throtthle with a load. I found the bottom of my air box layered in mud/water and my K&N covered in leaves. Well, I tore everything down for a cleaning (rebuilt carb also) and let me tell you I didn't find a speck of dirt ANYWHERE. I did just recharge the K&N before I went riding though. I found my air box drain plug or whatever was MIA. I have always been kinda on the fence with K&N (was on when I bought my quad) but it did a GREAT job of keeping my engine clean it seems.

ensenadamark
04-19-2008, 10:18 AM
I wonder if that drain plug missing actually helped drain the water instead of getting sucked into carb. What do you think?

zdowell
04-19-2008, 10:24 AM
I clean and oil my K&N filter, I like the piece of mind when im going down dusty roads that im protected. A well maintained K&N will do just as well as the foam. I've ran both and was skeptical at first of the K&N but, after some really messy rides, I take the filter off and the carb looks clean. I would personally stay with a K&N. Plus, you can pick them up cheap on this forum, because everyone is scared. :)