PDA

View Full Version : Changing Gears??

JIM GRACE
04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
I will be swapping out brandon's gear's tonight in his 70, after
the first mx practice on the last jump he broke em.. does the
chain normally break when the gear's go? - our's did..

anyways, i could use some pointer's in making the swap out and
what to expect. It look's like this is a commom procedure with the
bigger drr's so i'm sure most of you guy's can do it with your eye's closed:D

brandon's dad #55

hotquads1
04-18-2008, 09:05 AM
chain does not usually brake, if the chain is too tight it will brake the gears and maybe the chain. Swapping gears is not to tough , the guys here have done it more than once , lots of help available. Just ask whatever questions you need.
marc

JIM GRACE
04-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I need to know once you take the clutch assembly off
there are 5 mm bolts that come out behind where the
gears are..then what, also what the best oil I.m guessing gear saver..

brandon's dad #55

hotquads1
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
gear saver is fine. remove the cover ,and the front sproket, and the 2 gears will slide out, inspect the bearings, we like to replace bearings if in question. clean and remove all debris , slide in new gears , dont forget conical washer , it will some time be stuck to the gear. replace cover and fill with 3.5 oz of gaer oil. double check chain tension , it sounds too tight.
marc

JIM GRACE
04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Is there a drain for the fluid or does come out when you open the case?? thanks for the info.

brandon's first race of the season is tommorow and if i get
jammed up tonight can I give you a call..

brandon's dad #55

hotquads1
04-18-2008, 12:20 PM
12mm bolt in bottom is the plug.

bulldogfallon
04-18-2008, 01:26 PM
It is a very straight forward procedure as we had discussed.

Here is a link to a service manual that should be helpful with most procedures on your DRR.

http://www.g-forcepowersports.com/files/Service_manualDRX.pdf

Drain the fluid first so you don't make a mess in your CVT cover(Under case below clutch area).

Fill 3.8oz of 75-90 weight gear oil

Changing the actual gears is the easiest part of the procedure.

Make sure to have some rags to keep the cvt cover area clean and oil free. Belts and pulleys don't like to be oiled It would give you a slipper clutch for sure!! :) :)

Getting the cvt cover off w/o tearing the gasket is actually tougher

You will be amazed at how easy it is...

The bearing that the sprocket shaft rides on can be damaged and may need replacement if this is the case.

Extra gears and bearings are as common as wrenches and srewdrivers in the mini dad's tool box

JIM GRACE
04-18-2008, 02:10 PM
when an expert mechanic says straight forward, that means a handful for me lol.
I gonna give it shot tonight and see what
happens. hopefully I don't need any more parts so he can race it tommorow..

thanks to the florida boy's for all the help.:D

brandon's dad #55

bulldogfallon
04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey Jim...I am in no way an expert mechanic....I have someone for that stuff

If I can change the gears w/o losing any fingers I am confident that you will do just fine

tireman43
04-18-2008, 02:41 PM
It sounds complicated the first time you do it, but it really is very easy once you get in there. I was nervous my first time doing it(the tranny gears:D ) but now I can do it in my sleep. My daughter and wife can do it too.

Kevin

jerkyboy
04-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Jim no one has brought up the snap ring behind the sprocket.
That needs to be removed before that gear can be removed.

Rayzer
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I thought it was just me that was having gear problems. Recently bought two DRR''s, a 70 and 90 and at the third race the 90 went through two sets of gears. Sounds like a very common problem. Anyway, I was able to watch a friend change the first set at the track which helped me out when I had to do it myself at home. The only problem I had was tapping out the roller bearings, I didn't know about the snap ring holding it in place from the inside until the snap ring broke. Easily fixed and back in business.

One question though-how long can I expect gears to last? The 70 isn't being ridden very hard but the 90 is putting in some work. Replacing them does not appear to be the problem its going gear broke by half season.

Ray

forgiven
04-18-2008, 04:18 PM
You guys are making me scared. My boy hasn't broke any in either quad. Perhaps he is doing something wrong. How do they get broke in the first place? Is it a function of the chain too tight while jumping and not getting off the gas?

Nichols Atvs
04-18-2008, 06:12 PM
YOU NEED TO TEACH THEM TO LET OFF THE GAS IN THE AIR! You can 't go any faster with the wheels off the ground any way . Then invest the money in a DC slipper clutch well worth the money in the long run .

quadscrib
04-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanx for the service manual download Bulldog. My favorite chapter is "Dismantlement of Engine".
Translated Taiwanese is great..lol.

JIM GRACE
04-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Yoy guy's are right it was nothing but all the little stuff help's..
took about 2 hr's taking my time and brandon even did his part
by holding the flashlight.lol He defintly broke them because the chain was too tight.
and he was landing on the gas.. but we are working on it..

gary thank's for the hook up on the 70 it rip's and brandon does'nt
want to get back on his 50 ha ha. and that manual was
great.

he did'nt mind the leatt, i think we need to dial it in maybe use the
bigger latches. we did'nt use the strap but next we will. it did fit in the
back snug with the body armor but the front lifted up some.

brandon's dad #55