PDA

View Full Version : 440 kits? how did you go about it?

badass400ex
11-06-2001, 06:02 PM
i am gonna buy a kit but on the sparks racing web page they say that the sleeve that tapers is not a good setup but what did everyone buy did you buy the tapered sleve or the untapered i just dont want to tear my bottom apart right now so the untapered would be the way to go for me has anyone ever cracked the tapered sleeve? also where did you get your kit and what brand of products came in it i prefer je but dont want over 11-1 compression also for those who have higher compression does it overheat or detonate? is there any websites that have hp charts on any of there exhausts and big bore kits i will probibly go with sparks x-6 the next question is who has the kits and exhaust the cheapest on the sparks racing site it is 489.00 for the exhaust

oynot400
11-07-2001, 08:26 AM
I guess that I am not sure about the tapered sleeve. I got my kit from IMS, it came with the sleeve, piston, rings and gaskets. I don't know why you would need to take apart your bottom end to do this? Unless you are going to replace the rod, would be the only thing I could think of. That would not have anything to do with the sleeve.
If you are only running a 440 kit I don't think heat is that big of a deal. I never noticed any big heat increases when I did mine. That is until I put on my FCR, that made her run warmer. I have not heard of a 440 going bad and they have been out for several years.
Hope this helps...

badass400ex
11-07-2001, 10:52 AM
i was talking about getting the cases bored out to accept the larger sleeve from the sparks racing kit

oynot400
11-07-2001, 12:46 PM
Ok I know what you are talking about now. ;) As far as I know to jump to a 440 you need to have the larger sleeve. I haven't heard of anyone else going to 440 cc without the larger sleeve. Any good machine shop can do it. I think it only cost me about $75-80 to have mine resleeved and honed to match the piston. If they do it right you should not have any problems.
You are going to love the power that you get out of this! :devil

trx400ex
11-07-2001, 02:04 PM
if you have alot of cash and want to do everything the "right way" get the untaperd, but i recomend a tapered sleeve because its cheaper, unless you going for a high hp motor that bends stock rods like toothpics....actually you may evn want to look into the 416 kit with 10 or 10.5 to 1 comp. and an xr cam you still be under the price of a 440 plus inst.

Dave400ex
11-07-2001, 03:24 PM
Are you going to get the complete 440 kit? I would go with a 416 myself. Then if something happens to your motor you can go to a 440.