PDA

View Full Version : OMFG Swingarm Pivot Bolt

Iliketogofast
04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
This is ridiculous!

Is there any puller or tool that I can use to get this out?

I'm pretty outraged because I got this bike, and I had it for about 2 years and never greased it. I took it apart and it slid right out. It's been only about a year since that and now I can't get the fricken thing out for anything!

It will turn with a big ol' ratchet, but no matter how hard I hammer it, it just will not budge a single fraction of an inch.

I searched the other threads, a lot of them said cut it. I have an 88 style lonestar swinger and I really, really don't want to cut through it. What's the last ditch situation?

Right now I'm soaking it with WD, and I'm getting ready to drag it out to the shop so I can ream it with an impact wrench and pound it from the other side.

This is a pain in the ***.

atvmxr
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
a 5# shop hammer did the trick for me... they carry quite a bit more oommph than using a carpenter hammer..

Iliketogofast
04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm already using a BFH. It has mushroomed quite a bit from all of the beating, so I'm going to have to grind that off too.

Will heating it do anything?

ERBE
04-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I have heard horror stories about this, I heard that some folks had to strip there quads to nothing and place it in a press to push thet SOB bolt out, hope thats not the case

Iliketogofast
04-17-2008, 01:22 PM
A press is an excellent idea. I already have it down to nothing.

I'm trying to strip it so that the frame can be powdercoated. I thought I was getting a deal for powdercoating because a guy at my dad's work is doing it for 60 bucks. I already know he does good work because he did my brother's and it looks nice. It isn't going to be that great of a deal though now that I have to replace the pivot bolt and the swinger bearings.

I actually have it now to where it will spin freely inside the swingarm - I can put a socket on it and turn it with my fingers. But I can't get it to budge when I beat it with a hammer. My grandpa has a hydraulic press so let's see how this SOB likes that. :devil:

EXtreme-
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
yes it will spin inside, however it's gaulded itself to the steel collars for the needle bearings and those collars have to break free for the thing to come out. PB blaster for a few days in a row and a brass punch w/bfh might get it. Otherwise, sawall blades and constant oil to cool/lube.

don't bend the frame with the bfh. you're in for a looooong haul

Rip_Tear
04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Sad part is that spinning it only means that the bearings are free... Also people who cut the swing arm off, don't cut the swing arm, they cut the bushings and pivot bolt.

I took my 250r apart for the first time this winter, I ended up using a 2 finger wheel(clutch etc) puller, 1 finger on the frame and the other on the bracket for the swing arm pivot, and a 2 foot adjustable on the end of the puller. Obviously I was using the puller as a pusher, but it did the trick, when it let go it pretty well shot out the other side, surprised I didn't bend the frame or break the puller actually...

Iliketogofast
04-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I took it over to my grandpas house house and got it out with a hydraulic press. It took a little bit of fabrication to get some spacers right and ect but it came out pretty easily with that bad boy.

I wasn't even going to post this because there were so many threads before but I'm glad I did, because I looked through most of the threads and found nothing about a hydraulic press. I wouldn't have thought of that myself.

Thanks alot for all of the response everyone!

Aceman
04-17-2008, 09:21 PM
So....you figuring on waiting another year before greasing it again?:devil:

RedRider23
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
I got a brand new pivot bolt, and swingarm bearing kit... Id sell ya cheap... let me know. Shane

p.s go look at pappy's powdercoating pages... check into getting it molycoated. it slides out like butter then...

PeanutButta
04-18-2008, 06:19 AM
yea i have the same problem to man. i can get my bolt out either :/ but i have a Q also. If you take the nut off of it. would u just be able to hammer it right out or is it threadid in all the way.

Iliketogofast
04-18-2008, 07:23 AM
PeanutButta, it is only threaded on the end. Once you get the nut of it's supposed to (I use that term lightly) come right out.

Although it may seem like it's threaded in there or welded or something, it isn't.

PS to Aceman - It's a pretty nasty thing. It's one of those that if you don't have trouble with, you'd rather not mess with it.

But yeah, I'll probably be taking it out and greasing it every few rides now. One stupid bolt now has about 4 hours of my life that I'll never have back. :o

PeanutButta
04-18-2008, 02:06 PM
yep i know ive just got in its 4:06 at my house right now and ive been out there since 12:30 or so not takin one break and the **** moved about 2 in and doesnt budge :/

Iliketogofast
04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Well you will probably have to take it and put it on a hydraulic press like I did.

beak7707
04-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Iliketogofast when you put it back together antiseize the crap out of it. I had to cut the swinger bolt out of one of my R's, went through the same crap you did. After that I started antiseizing them and they come right out.

RedRider23
04-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I will do 40 shipped for the brand new swingarm bearing kit, and new honda pivot bolt. let me know.. your PM box is full

badquad
04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
I hear you guys. Back in 2002 I redone my 400EX, and my bolt was stuck.. I ended up beating the crap out of it, then ordered a new bolt.. I picked up a Stainless Steel one.. I use antiseeze on it and take it out about every 2 years and put more antiseeze on it.. So far so good. Check into the Stainless ones. I need to get one for the 250R now.

Good luck

wilkin250r
04-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
I took it over to my grandpas house house and got it out with a hydraulic press. It took a little bit of fabrication to get some spacers right and ect but it came out pretty easily with that bad boy.

Any idea what type of press it was, or more to the point, what the capacity of it was?

I've been thinking about getting myself a small shop press, but it would be handy to know what capacity is needed to press out a siezed swinger bolt, it might influence my decision on which press to buy.

Iliketogofast
04-19-2008, 06:47 AM
I don't know any of the specifications.

My grandpa made the press himself. It is a steel frame that he welded together, and there is a hand operated pump. The actual hydraulic cylinder is of course on top and there is a line that runs to a handle on the side.

Mxjunkie
04-19-2008, 07:11 AM
I just did a swingarm swap on my 1986 R, it had been togather since the early 90's and mine slid right out! I've always soaked them in PB blaster a few times a day for a week then work at it from there.. But like others said if all else fails the saw saw looks real good compared to the hammer you have swung for days lol :blah:

Rip_Tear
04-19-2008, 04:45 PM
If it was hand operated I'd bet it was no bigger then 20ton. Currently I have a 20ton press with a 16ton jack. I'm sure something smaller would work, but I'd stick with a 20ton press they aren't very expensive, I got the frame for 200$(maybe less) and the jack for free. Easily made too, but it was faster and cheaper in the long run.