PDA

View Full Version : Patching tires???

MAKO19
04-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I just picked up a set of used ITP holeshots and one tire has 2 very small thin slits in the sidewall that are really not that deep. I am sure the tires will hold air but just wanted to put an "insurance" patch behind the slit area on the inside of the tires before I get them mounted to avoid any future headaches. Do autoparts stores or ATV shops carry good quality patch kits that work? Or should I go to an automotive tire place and have them do it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BigRed44
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I always use Wal Mart brand plugs and patches, havent had any problems yet. Everything you need comes in a kit with directions too for like $5.

txredxj
04-17-2008, 01:25 PM
not much you can do for that. as long as its not into the cords mabe glue them up so they dont snag on things if it is down to the cords.

MAKO19
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
It is a very light slit about 1 or 1-1/4" in lenght. It looks like somebody took a razor knife to the tire very very lightly. The guy I bought them off of said he would take them back and give me a full refund but I need the tires and I am not sure what to do.

gcart2
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by MAKO19
It is a very light slit about 1 or 1-1/4" in lenght. It looks like somebody took a razor knife to the tire very very lightly. The guy I bought them off of said he would take them back and give me a full refund but I need the tires and I am not sure what to do.

the sidewall is the toughest part of the tire. i wouldnt worry about it.

MAKO19
04-17-2008, 02:02 PM
I will post a picture later tonight.

txredxj
04-17-2008, 05:03 PM
the side walls are actually weaker, but have more rubber on them.

Old Dirtbiker
04-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Low pressure tires also flex alot at the side wall.

Thats why you can generally plug a tire on the tread surface but I would not count on a sidewall patch to count for much.

Of course, it depends on how deep the slit is, tires get cut all the time but that does not mean their worthless.

If your concerned, I'd return the tires and keep looking.

MAKO19
04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Guys thanks for the replies. I decided to opt for new tires instead of the used ones. The guy I bought them off of gladly took them back and gave me my money back. I just kept thinking of being stuck way out in the woods pushing this thing back to the truck. That wouldn't be cool!