PDA

View Full Version : 460ex

Gibson
04-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I have a '99 400EX and i'm wanting to put a 460 stroker kit in it with a stage 3 hot cam. I'm just wondering if it's reliable. if i need to upgrade the carb. and if it's worth it

Honda#4
04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd definently put a carb on that setup

pro-rider46
04-16-2008, 09:38 PM
im not really fimiliar with the 400exs, but i have heard that the 460s get hot if you just run them around like trail riding, and that you have to be flying so it can stay cool.

TheNewn
04-16-2008, 11:14 PM
What made you decide on the 460 stroker? And upgrading to an FCR might be best if you did end up going that route. How much are you planning to spend on this?

Stroker anything is going to be *less* reliable than stock obviously, and a stage 3 cam as well. It's worth considering to just sell the EX and buy another quad...IE 450...

Gibson
04-17-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm looking at spending around $750-$1500 for the entire thing: stroker kit, carb, exhaust, cam, and clutch.

m36indiana
04-17-2008, 06:07 PM
i have a 99 460 ex stroker for sale in the classsified section

Speed_MDS2
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
no way you'll get this build done for 1,500. Well, maybe if you do ALL the work your self. Hell, I've got 2,000 into my motor and its a freakin stock bore.

TheNewn
04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
For 1500 dollars you could have a very nice motor. Maybe not fully built but certainly better than most.

I'd just be shy about the stroker option...

Gibson
04-18-2008, 04:00 PM
i've changed my mind i'm gonna go with a 440 instead: it's cheaper and still give me more power than wat i have now

XXXRACER165
04-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Excelent Choice!

Gibson
04-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Here's what i'm starting with, tell me if i NEED anythingelse: suspension, etc.

XXXRACER165
04-19-2008, 11:08 AM
You will def. need better front suspension too handle that motor. I suggest getting a pair of used 450R shocks and revalving them to your likings. For the exhaust..........get a sparks X6 full system. I know they are spendy but sooooo worth it. For your intake to get more flow here is what I did. You know that fine wire mesh on the air filter cage, well i cut all off down to the bare cage. Then I put some epoxy on each end to prevent those sharp metal wires from coming lose, I drilled some medium holes at the back of the cage. Done. It flows so much better that way along with a UNI filter.

John451
04-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Why would he need better suspention because of more engine power? I mean i can see if he wanted to get shorter ones to keep the front down a lil bit... Also since the enginne will be getting hotter id suggest getting scoops.

Originally posted by XXXRACER165
You will def. need better front suspension too handle that motor. I suggest getting a pair of used 450R shocks and revalving them to your likings. For the exhaust..........get a sparks X6 full system. I know they are spendy but sooooo worth it. For your intake to get more flow here is what I did. You know that fine wire mesh on the air filter cage, well i cut all off down to the bare cage. Then I put some epoxy on each end to prevent those sharp metal wires from coming lose, I drilled some medium holes at the back of the cage. Done. It flows so much better that way along with a UNI filter.

REDRIDDER
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by John451
Why would he need better suspention because of more engine power? I mean i can see if he wanted to get shorter ones to keep the front down a lil bit... Also since the enginne will be getting hotter id suggest getting scoops. You would be suprised how much faster a better suspension will make you...not that Gibson is looking to be faster or anything im just stating the facts about suspension upgrading....lol.

John451
04-19-2008, 06:42 PM
oic, but are you talking about the pump and rebound? Cuz i dont see anything besides that with the front that makes it faster. Like do you mean because it'll be ready quicker you can go faster and while you're running the front wheels up a jump it holds it up instead of getting sucked down by all the g force and impact.

Originally posted by REDRIDDER
You would be suprised how much faster a better suspension will make you...not that Gibson is looking to be faster or anything im just stating the facts about suspension upgrading....lol.

REDRIDDER
04-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by John451
oic, but are you talking about the pump and rebound? Cuz i dont see anything besides that with the front that makes it faster. Like do you mean because it'll be ready quicker you can go faster and while you're running the front wheels up a jump it holds it up instead of getting sucked down by all the g force and impact. I'm not really sure how to put this into words but I'm sure someone will read this and explain it thoroughly for you.

Honda#4
04-19-2008, 07:45 PM
By having better suspension you will feel more planted to the ground by having a lowered ride height and such which means your cornering ability will be improved and the overall ability to take jumps and land jumps will feel more comfortable which in terms would make you faster. Hope that makes sense. I know theres alot more than this to say.

TheNewn
04-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Even a stock motor on the stock 400EX suspension will 'beat you up' if you really push it. If you try and be agressive with 40HP on stock suspension you'll get beat up even more.

Stock suspension with a built motor will wear you out right quick if you push it, the fronts are like pogo sticks and they will really 'jar' you. You can jump further, corner better, go over whoops faster, with less fatigue if you have better suspension.

I heard a really good explanation once that really puts it into words better than i do.

ANYWAY, besides shocks, you should really really consider a steering stabilizer if you do not have one already.

Gibson
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165

I've got a K&N filter and it does way better than stock. I'm goin to buy a Sparks X6 system when i get the money....but do any of ya'll know where i can get a set of 450r shocks cuz they are hard to find

REDRIDDER
04-20-2008, 04:53 PM
check the classifieds section here their always for sale.

John451
04-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeahh, i defiantly see how much better the suspention makes it. I rode a 450ex today and boy was it smooth, i went through with my 300 with stock suspention and it was shaking my teeth out, I went through with the 450 later and it was like it wasnt even touching the ground. Man was it fast as heck too. First was as fast as second on my 300. I think i'm going to get some 450 shocks for my 300. But yeah, steering stabilizers work well.