PDA

View Full Version : CB Radio questions

Iliketogofast
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
So I want to put one in the Camaro, to be like the Bandit. Really, my brother got one in his truck and I want to be able to communicate with him.

The problem is I don't want a big goofy *** antenna sticking up in the air.

I had two ideas, so I figure there's somebody here who can tell me if it would work.

Idea #1 was to use the existing antenna the car has for radio for the CB antenna. I don't need a radio antenna because all of the stations around here suck and I have an iPod input.

Idea#2 was to get a big CB antenna but to mount it inside the ground effects on the side of the car. Basically mount it underneath of the car out if sight.

If anyone knows if this would work, or any hidden antenna product available, let me know.

hondaking52
04-16-2008, 06:47 PM
the radio antena would probly work, you can get one of those small gps pods/small antennas, and you probly could put it under ur car if you wanted to....

smr
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
a CBs broadcast on AM. I am 99% sure your car antenna will not work. You need an AM antenna.

You do have options.

#1...buy a hand held antenna, this is what I use in my truck and it works great.

#2...you can mount the antenna anywhere but you need to hook it up to a SWR metor. You can usually get away without this when you mount the antenna conventionally. However if you mount it in the trunk or under the car you will need to check the standing waves and adjust accordingly. Also make sure the antenna (not the base) isn't touching any medal.

250rAL
04-17-2008, 07:34 AM
For it to work correctly, as much of the antenna as possible has to be above the highest part of the vehicle. If an antenna worked at all underneath the car, it wouldn't have any kind of range. I think I can remember combination radio/CB antennas in the past. The one that came on the car definitely wouldn't work.

bwamos
04-17-2008, 11:47 AM
CB Antennas are tuned. You can't use just any antenna. It needs to be a CB specific antenna.

tman12345
04-17-2008, 02:11 PM
my friend had one on his 85 Z28, it was pretty bada*s, i think it looks cool on the roof

this is it

Iliketogofast
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
It doesn't look bad on that, but sorry I can't deface this with one... :(

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/2558000-2558999/2558827_1_full.jpg

But I may try and replace the original antenna with a low pro or some type of inconspiuous, non ugly CB antenna.

Nac's22
04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
my buddy used to have this like box thing he found at radio shack that goes behind the radio. it pluged the cb into the radio antenna kinda like a splitter the radio still worked off the antenna as well as the cb. i dont remember how well it worked but i know that it was only 1 antenna for both.