PDA

View Full Version : Shift Drum Neutral Contact

sec1rlr
04-16-2008, 08:54 AM
I've got two 400EX quads, but have never opened the motors. Right now, I'm adding electric start to an XR400. I wanted to add a neutral light to the XR and tapped the case to install a neutral switch from an EX. Now I realize the EX shift drum has a contact pin that touches the neutral switch to ground the curcuit. Here's where I could use some advice. Since I've never actually seen the contact pin on a EX shift drum, I don't know if it is feasable to remove it. I could buy a drum of ebay, but again I don't know if I could get the contact pin out without destroying it. Second, I may be able to simply buy a contact pin, but Honda doesn't show this as a seperate item on their fische. Does anybody know where I could get a contact pin? And lastly, I don't want to split the case on my XR to get at the shift drum. Lastly, even if I could get my hands on a contact pin, how feasible is it to drill for and press the pin into the drum using the 10mm threaded hole that the neutral switch goes into. Certainly I would have to be concerned about any metal that my fall into the case. I could use a magnet to get most of it and the a magnetic oil drain plug would help also. Anyone got any thoughts regarding this? How about a pic of the end of a EX shift drum showing the contact pin and a deminsion of its overall diameter. Maybe its to wide to go through the threaded hole in the first place.
Thanks,
SEC1RLR