PDA

View Full Version : Low end/Top end power

Chillyboarder
04-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Ok, my question is, what is low end power is exactly.

I had heard people say the 400EX doesn't have the best low end power, that it'll sometimes putter and stall if going too slow.

The thing is I cruise in 2nd gear doing 5 km/ph.

Does no low end power, mean that it'll need to go faster in the lower gears, or else it won't ride smooth?

Or, does it mean pretty much instantly and starting off that you have to switch to higher gears, because the previous are such high revv.

It's hard to keep a wheelie, as I'm just beginning them. 1st and 2nd are too slow for it.

I know I have a 15T sprocket in the front, so no doubt it's stock in the back as well.
Would I put a 14 or a 16 in the front to create more top end power?

Hans

greenblood01
04-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Low end power is typically referred to as how hard the motor pulls under half throttle. More low end power will give you more of a snap off of the lower rpm range while riding. Top end power is usually thought of as the power the engine makes over half throttle. A smaller front sprocket will give you more bottom end due to lower gearing, while one tooth bigger will give you slightly more top end. Changing your sprockets won't actually give the machine more power, just change gear ratios to make the power more manageable in the rpm range which you like to ride.

DementeD
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
i imagine it would be sort of hard to keep a wheelie above 2nd without some small mods to unleash the 400ex power

im sure ud need atleast a slip on some kind of aftermarket filter like k&n or uni and from what ive heard the timing key does great and is very cheap..i already got mine but i havent went to get more oil and gasket to install it yet..

Chillyboarder
04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I have a k&n yes. It's hard in like 1st to wheelie because it's enough to get the bike up yes, but then all the power is gone and it falls back down with high revv. I use my left foot on grab bar, hard to do the other way, to shift.

Thanks Greenblood, think I'll try a 16T then.

DementeD
04-16-2008, 02:05 PM
i dont think ur doing something right..1st is super easy to keep up..the bike has a lot of grunt..2nd is pretty easy as well..

now ill admit ive only been tryin to for about two weeks..sittin down for 2nd gear 1 foot on the back bar for 1st gear wheelies..ive never tried third etc..

but my bike has two small issuees..one left back tire looses air and the bearings in the rear are pretty bad so keepin it straight isnt happening right now..

and only can i do it in dirt..if i even attempt on asphalt it pulls to the left super fast..

but i thinku should practice more ..1st should have plenty of power to keep it up ..2nd as well if ur bike is high enough up..

07trx400ex
04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I would make sure everything is in spec on your bike if you are having trouble keeping the bike up. It is an absolute wheelie monster. It does not really need a pipe to help it wheelie in fact, some after market headers will have a negative effect on torque.

I would never start out in first for a long distance wheelie, if you can pop the clutch in third. Or just give it a really hard yank on the bars and do a power wheelie.

04-16-2008, 02:28 PM
my friend can wheelie any 400ex sitting on it whether its stock or not. It how you wheelie that gets it up there. He can ride a slow wheelie over whoops even on a stock quad. Mods do help it get up there and tires that grip do the best. My brother and I have about the same mods I have a few more little performance tweaks so maybe I have 1 or 2HP more. His 400ex will wheelie in 3rd all the time mine will not. The reason is he has Razr rear tires and I have stock. The traction gets it up there while I spin

DementeD
04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
i was sayin a pipe because mine has one and has no problem coming up..

and i know a pipe actually increases tq..a header however typically looses tq vs the stock but i dont believe so with a new muffler..

txredxj
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
i had mine stock for about a month and all i could do was catch second sitting down. im around 250lbs but with some mods i can wheelie alot easier and ride out second.

trx400EXtreme
04-16-2008, 04:15 PM
the reason your running out of gear is because you need to get to the "ballance point" of the wheelie quicker. instead of somewhat easing into it, hit the throttle pretty hard to get it up, then you will still be at the bottem of the gear and then you can work on your throttle response the ride then longer.

07trx400ex
04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I could get mine up in third when it was bone stock.

What you have to do is be cruising in the sweet spot I would say 3500-rpm.

Start off standing roll on throttle sit down(hard to try to force up front) at the same time and pull up.

This should pop the front end up enough to hold it.

txredxj
04-16-2008, 04:44 PM
also were you sit on the seat is a big part of getting the weight transfer right.

atvmaster0927
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
i can wheelie for miles, exspecially since i have found my "ballance point." Plus have bigger tires work better like 20's work great...my 18's just dont cut it. lol

Chillyboarder
04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Mk, I have 20's, razr's to be exact.

Txredxj, yeah, I'm only 140 lb's and I usually right up near the front, just have to sit my *** back and it lifts right up.

trx400extreme, I do that exactly, start at a stop usually and just throttle it and let out the clutch, by the time I'm up and going few feet it's high revv and I go back down. Will have to find balance point.

DementeD
04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
ya ur definitely missin ur balance point..
im 225lbs and when i wheelie in first or second i can throttle it and keep it going for a good minute..especially in first ...doesnt seem like it matters where im at itll stand right back up..

actually i find my self running to catch back up with the bike cuz it went a lil too high up hehehe...

but i only wheelie like that in 1st..every other gear i sit down...

i actually just saw a youtube vid last night of someone standing onthe bar and was going pretty fast..went a lil to far back and tried to run with it ...was freakin hilarious ...