PDA

View Full Version : 2004 kfx 80 wont start ?

cdevito
04-16-2008, 06:52 AM
hey "lt80" have a 2004 lt 80 , with basicmods, went to start it the thjer day and started up for a sec then shut off, now wont do anything, i havechanged spark plug, cleaned air filter and carb, blew out all everything, even when i put some carb cleaner in engine, wont even try and turn over, checked plug, looks like its getting spark" but dont know if it is enough spark". feels like good good compresion , dont know exact nubers but feels like it always did when trying to pull start it ,lt 80 or anybody haveany ideas

LT80
04-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Does the plug look wet?
If not, try hand choking it. Use 2 fingers in front of the carb.
I've seen the stator/flywheel get dirt in it and cause a weak spark.
Let's go from there. :)

cdevito
04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
plug doesnt look wet , , i changed out the neck of the coil looka like good spark, hoooked it up to battery and tried cranking it with battery , nothing at all, turns over fine but doesnt even want to try and start, i put small amount of gas down the spark plug hole to try and get it to at least sputter, nothing at all, ? took off throttle side of engine case and blew it out with air, dusty thats about it, the plug shocks the sh....t out of u so i think spark is okay, maybe it might be compression? whts the normal compression for it, i ahve bored it 1 over , shaved the head 30 thousanths likeu said, ct racing pipe, front two rollers are out, shoes down to 180 grams, have done all of that stuff about 7 months ago ,and has been running fine untuill the other day , have afriend bringing over a compressino tester , so what aould be normal for that type of engine , thanks lt 80 ,

LT80
04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
125 or so. :)
Try the choke thing?

cdevito
04-16-2008, 02:40 PM
yeah did the finger thing in front of carb, and nothing , plug doesnt look wet hard to tell, due to when i sprayed carb cleaner inthere, but not as wet as ia would think , also i do have the throttle side cover off where the magneto is , woulod tht make a difference in starting?

LT80
04-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Having the fan and cover off shouldn't stop it from starting at all.
Is fuel getting to the carb? Petcock on prime?
Untill the plug gets wet, I'm thinking carb. :)

cdevito
04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
yeah fuel getting to carb bowl of carb is full of fuel, ? and blew out all the ports in the carb and all are fine? it has me stumped, usualy goode with motors, but just doesnt make sense , having friend comever today to check compression, but i dont htink that is the prob

cdevito
04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
lt80 figured it out, check the compresion adnn was reading 60 psi, took the head/jug offf and piston had blow by onint, so gonna get newe piston/rings and jug , thanks for the help "lt80 " its been a year since i did the engine mods so not that bad

LT80
04-18-2008, 05:01 AM
That explains why the plug wasn't wet. Can't suck it in. :D :D