PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon 90 or LT80?

hondzuki
04-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Which one would be better? I can get an LT80 used for $1200. It's an 02 with DG pipe and bumper also has sand tires. Or the typhoon is $1700 brand new.

hanzito
04-16-2008, 12:20 AM
i sold my sons lt80 to get his typhoon 125. never looked back.

LT80:
-Minimal suspension
-shocks suck for any kid under 80 pounds
-front shocks can be swapped out for lt160 shocks and will double front wheel travel
-bulletproof motor that responds well to work (best mod is to shave the stock head 30 thousandths cost 20 bucks and about 2 hours of time)
-Minimal aftermarket
- really only good for trail ridding, flat track, and sand
-sucks for jumping, if jumped heavily like in motorcross or hard duneing will crack motor case with out bieng reinforced
-made by the big four so repair parts are easy to come by
-automatic
-2 stroke
-clutches are sensitive to adults ridding them easy to screw up

Typhoon 125:
-wouldnt bother with 70 or 90
-dual a arm suspension good for starter, mostly just need shocks to make it good
- shocks suck
-shifter motor
-pitbike big bore kits fit
-upgrade parts are cheap
-wider and longer than even a widened out lt80
-fourstroke
-better platform to build a racer out of
-far less exspensive to purchase new than new lt80
-kick start back up incase battery dies
-direct bolt in of manual clutch high performance pitbike motor, i have a GPX 125 with a 146 BBK in it now head is out for porting now
-new complete motor less than 500 bucks

hope this helps this are the differences i can think of off the top of my head. also the only atv my son was beat by in flat track this winter was my buddys kids worked over lt80, that he has since sold to get a 300ex for hi daughter because of the lack of suspension for the lt80. and the suspension is the same reason i sold my and swithced tothe typhoon.

double d 1
04-16-2008, 04:29 AM
when he got beat by the 80 was he riding the 125 or 146? just curious.

hondzuki
04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by hanzito
i sold my sons lt80 to get his typhoon 125. never looked back.

LT80:
-Minimal suspension
-shocks suck for any kid under 80 pounds
-front shocks can be swapped out for lt160 shocks and will double front wheel travel
-bulletproof motor that responds well to work (best mod is to shave the stock head 30 thousandths cost 20 bucks and about 2 hours of time)
-Minimal aftermarket
- really only good for trail ridding, flat track, and sand
-sucks for jumping, if jumped heavily like in motorcross or hard duneing will crack motor case with out bieng reinforced
-made by the big four so repair parts are easy to come by
-automatic
-2 stroke
-clutches are sensitive to adults ridding them easy to screw up

Typhoon 125:
-wouldnt bother with 70 or 90
-dual a arm suspension good for starter, mostly just need shocks to make it good
- shocks suck
-shifter motor
-pitbike big bore kits fit
-upgrade parts are cheap
-wider and longer than even a widened out lt80
-fourstroke
-better platform to build a racer out of
-far less exspensive to purchase new than new lt80
-kick start back up incase battery dies
-direct bolt in of manual clutch high performance pitbike motor, i have a GPX 125 with a 146 BBK in it now head is out for porting now
-new complete motor less than 500 bucks

hope this helps this are the differences i can think of off the top of my head. also the only atv my son was beat by in flat track this winter was my buddys kids worked over lt80, that he has since sold to get a 300ex for hi daughter because of the lack of suspension for the lt80. and the suspension is the same reason i sold my and swithced tothe typhoon.
The reason I was thinking of going with the 90 is my son is only 6. He has WAY out grown his 50 both size and ability level. But I don't want to give him too much power.

hanzito
04-17-2008, 12:13 AM
the 125 is very managable. and it responds well to upgrades. and it is like 100 dollars more. well worth the money plus if you plan on racing it is the max displacement a 4 stroke can be. the 90 is very slow and you will regret it. same chassis just smaller motor.

hondzuki
04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
if you don't mind me asking, how old is your little quad rider?

hanzito
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
my son is 9

rhinorick
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by double d 1
when he got beat by the 80 was he riding the 125 or 146? just curious.
the 80 my kid had was very fast for a 80 Hans son won the one race with the 146 but I think it was just his night, not bike that night the 146 was way faster but I dont think it was as fast. that guy jack(lt80) in the suz form makes a fast bike. but all it was good for was sand flat track. I sold that bike the shocks just suck not much you can do with it. it was ok with the girl on it but my son was starting to ride it and I thought he would try and go big on it and get hurt way to much power for a kid who likes to jump. that little 80 I could get sideways on the pavement with me on it and I'm 230lbs