PDA

View Full Version : No run, strange fix!

Jer250R
04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
so I rebuilt my engine over the winter because when I bought the bike it wouldn't stay running and had various problems, so I figured I'd start fresh and then I'd know everything was good to go.
New piston, rings, hone, ESR ignition/flywheel, carb, gaskets, etc. all put in the over the winter. Finally get it all bolted back together and go to start it...starts for a few minutes but the exhaust is coming out around the exhaust flange on the motor and the bike won't really rev, floods really badly, and dies after a little while.
take the carb apart to deal with the flooding and put on proper exhaust springs to help with the leaking...doesn't really help, won't run for more then a minute and then poorly at best. noticed occasionally when i kicked it over it would backfire through the carb and when it did run the exhaust still came out around the flange...seemed strange since the exhaust fit well and had a monster spring on it.
on a hunch decided to take the expansion chamber off and make sure it wasn't blocked...sure enough I couldn't get air to flow through it from my compressor until there was a thump and something moved in the pipe...a big wad of silencer packing had somehow made its way into the skinny part of the chamber and was blocking the exhaust the whole time! don't ask how...I have no idea.
Moral of the story...2 strokes are always learning new ways to frustrate the heck out of you! I did however have the great satisfaction of finally driving the legendary bike for the first time, and was very impressed just ripping up and down my street!

86 Quad R
04-16-2008, 07:05 AM
quick question....... what shape is the interier of the silencer? the perferated tube in the center would have to be rotten for packing to have gotten into the chamber. you sure that wasnt a mouse nest that popped out lol

Rich250RRacer
04-16-2008, 10:19 PM
I learned a valuable lesson about 15 years ago. My Tri-Z was contantly leaking around the pipe flange on the cylinder, and my idea for a quick fix was some high temp silicone around the flange. After letting it dry overnight, I took it out for a test ride. The trike ran good for about ten minutes, then lost all power. I don't know what made me look at the flange, but I did, and that thin coat of silcone got sucked into the exhaust and plugged up a portion of the silencer.

04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
quick question....... what shape is the interier of the silencer? the perferated tube in the center would have to be rotten for packing to have gotten into the chamber. you sure that wasnt a mouse nest that popped out lol

OOOOOOMG lol i got an old klr 250 that sat for years an when i started it a mouse nest came out lol i miss that bike:ermm: i would love to get another one

CSR400EX
04-17-2008, 12:32 AM
i had the same problem with my old blaster, i got a FMF pipe that had been sitting in a shed for two years or more. i started it and it sounded like stock, but kinda louder. rode it around and the exhaust smelt funny, and i did the same thing, put a air gun into the pipe and when i pulled the trigger, no air and then POOF, shot a mouse nest half way across the garage lol.

Jer250R
04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
well it is definately possible it was caused by a mouse! i didn't see any bones or droppings but it was silencer packing...he could have pulled it out and into the pipe.

strange thing now looking back when i bought the bike the guy had just replaced the silencer because the old one was bad, so who knows what the story was...