PDA

View Full Version : stainless oil filter

SicRipp83
04-15-2008, 08:18 PM
anyone use these i thought about it saving some duckets on filters but if their junk forget them whats ur thoughts

reconranger
04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Hold one up to the light, and the holes are so big that you can see right through them! It's not going to get anything but the really big stuff. (This is the same issue as a K&N vs oiled foam air filter.)

Typical automotive filters screen 40 uM particles, and I assume that a motorcycle filter is in that range. (Mobil 1 and Pure One filters will screen 10 uM, so a wise car/truck owner will run one of those!) True, particles in the oil are a much bigger issue in an engine with plain bearings (no dirt bike engines have plain bearings...at least not yet), but still might as well get the best protection you can. You might save a little money, but it might end up being "false economy" in the end.

Scro
04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Like I said in a previous thread - Take the used paper filter, and cut the paper out the next time you change your oil. You will find that there is alot more tiny metal shavings than you think - shavings that the reusable filter will probably not catch.

TRX450RACER174
04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I have ran one for 2years with no engine problems at all and i race quite frequently until my injury, changed my oil evey 2 to 3 hours and my motor is still strong as ever.

Foxrage
04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
I just bought a stainless filter trying to save some money in the long run. It seems as it would miss some of the particles that a paper filter would. But being that small you would think they wouldnt hurt your engine. Im sure if you change your oil as frequently as you shouldit would be fine. If i should run a paper filter someone let me know so i know i just wasted 50 bucks to save a buck.

tjar66
04-18-2008, 05:21 PM
I have had one on my 04 from right after break in with great results. No problems at all