PDA

View Full Version : better way to install oil cooler? oil pipe, or tap the pump cover?

maddmatt02
04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I just read of people just cutting the oil pipe from the pump to the head and installing it inline, but my boss drilled and tapped a couple holes on the cover and plumbed it that way?

is there an advantage either way? seems like putting it inline with the oil pipe wiould make sure more oil went through it instead of letting your oil pressure/flow choose one of two paths...

asleepz
04-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
I just read of people just cutting the oil pipe from the pump to the head and installing it inline, but my boss drilled and tapped a couple holes on the cover and plumbed it that way?

is there an advantage either way? seems like putting it inline with the oil pipe wiould make sure more oil went through it instead of letting your oil pressure/flow choose one of two paths...

They aren't just T ing off of it. They cut it sent it through the oil cooler then run the hose back to the top end.

300exOH
04-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Personally I would think that putting the cooler inline with the oil line would be best. Then the cooled oil is going straight from the oil cooler to the head where most of the heat is produced in an engine anyhow.

maddmatt02
04-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by asleepz
They aren't just T ing off of it. They cut it sent it through the oil cooler then run the hose back to the top end.

who said anything about a T fitting, I said inline...

asleepz
04-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Misunderstood the post.. I believe your boss did it a round about way and wouldn't make any noticeable improvements.

maddmatt02
04-16-2008, 09:58 PM
his way would definately take alot more time and effort to drill and tap the holes. I think in the end his probably looks cleaner than a couple of soft lines stuffed over the end of a cut in half oil pipe. but the other way does sound better dumping the cool head right into the head.

Y2daT420
04-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Deffanitly pipe cut + if you mount the oil coller so the lines come from the top of it it will hold the extra oil when the machine is shut down thus not delaying the time for your oil to reach the top end on startup ( if u use a flare kit to mushroom the ends of the cut pipe rubber hoses will seal on it nice..)

maddmatt02
04-19-2008, 05:30 PM
with the engine off, can the oil not flow in reverse through the output that used to go to the head? if you have the oil cooler so the lines came down, whichever line you had at the bottom of the cooler (unless you had one that they both came out of the top), the one on the bottom would just let the whole thing drain? unless the design of the oil pump stops oil from back-flowing while the pump isnt spinning.

he used a tranny cooler so i believe the input/output waas top/bottom. not both on top like stock oil coolers.